Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Urgent - Help Needed on 2010 Tahoe Rear View Camera Option

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2009, 9:26 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnvw
its software based. The signals are sent over the data lines
Is there away around the software besides buying a $300.00 lockpick?

Do you know where a notebook would hook up to on the suburban/tahoe to see if this code can be rewrote.
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Check sabrtoothsqrl's posts on his work around. I think he used a switch in the VSS line.
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

I am going to e-mail the dealer again today asking for specifics as to why the rear-view camera cannot be installed on the 2010 nav units at the dealership.

I think their initial reason, that the 2010 nav units at the dealership (when they come in) are different than the nav units at the factory, is bogus. Why would GM make two different 2010 nav units? It doesn't make sense from a cost-perspective.

mirage00 - I will send them the picutre you posted as proof that it should work. I will let you know what they say.

I'm thinking the reason they are saying it will not work is because it is probably a fairly-involved process installing the rear-view camera post-factory. Can anyone dispute this idea? Something tells me it won't be an easy install at the dealership (wire-wise).

Thanks.
Old November 30th, 2009, 5:58 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 07summitwhite
Is there away around the software besides buying a $300.00 lockpick?

Do you know where a notebook would hook up to on the suburban/tahoe to see if this code can be rewrote.
to my knowledge....no

mattld....an experienced tech can install and wire up a back-up camera in 2-3 hours
Old November 30th, 2009, 6:56 PM
CF Active Member

I just finished my Camera install. I wanted it to be as close to factory as possible so mine probably took longer than it should

I installed a new liftgate harness and ran the wires to the appropriate junction block connections etc and it still only took me 4 hrs.
Old November 30th, 2009, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mattld
I am going to e-mail the dealer again today asking for specifics as to why the rear-view camera cannot be installed on the 2010 nav units at the dealership.

I think their initial reason, that the 2010 nav units at the dealership (when they come in) are different than the nav units at the factory, is bogus. Why would GM make two different 2010 nav units? It doesn't make sense from a cost-perspective.

mirage00 - I will send them the picutre you posted as proof that it should work. I will let you know what they say.

I'm thinking the reason they are saying it will not work is because it is probably a fairly-involved process installing the rear-view camera post-factory. Can anyone dispute this idea? Something tells me it won't be an easy install at the dealership (wire-wise).

Thanks.
Any update on what the dealer told you?
Old November 30th, 2009, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 1UZ-SC
Any update on what the dealer told you?
Radio silence from the parts guy at the dealership. Go figure. As soon as he replies I'll let you guys know.

shawnvw and mirage00 - Thanks for the detail on installation times. My reasoning behind the install time was that they would need to take the interior apart to run the wires. But are you both saying the wires are run externally? I guess I was thinking they need to be run below the carpet or something.
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:33 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by mattld
Radio silence from the parts guy at the dealership. Go figure. As soon as he replies I'll let you guys know.

shawnvw and mirage00 - Thanks for the detail on installation times. My reasoning behind the install time was that they would need to take the interior apart to run the wires. But are you both saying the wires are run externally? I guess I was thinking they need to be run below the carpet or something.
I ran my wires according to the harness routing diagrams provided by GM. Which meang I removed both rear quarter panels, pillars, sills etc. They pop off fairly easily.
Old December 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

All -

The dealership has told me they will get back with me today or tomorrow on a final answer for if the OEM rear-view camera will work with the navigation unit. I told them to tell me specifically why it wouldn't work so maybe that explains why it has taken so long.

Also, I was informed that the stand-alone navigation units were due in shortly. Hopefully I can get everything wrapped up before the start of the new year.

I will post what the dealership says about the rear-view camera as soon as I hear back from them.
Old December 19th, 2009, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Angry Similar Situation

We are going thru the same things with our new 2010 Silverado. We ordered a 2009 and was given a 2010 instead. Something to do with the line change. Anyways, we expected the back up camera with our nav.....but did not receive it. We got the same answer that it could not be added to our nav system. It doesn't make sense. For an extra charge we could have the rear view mirror changed to rear view camera system, with full warranty. We are still searching for answers to WHY or HOW is our nav system sooooo different that the back up system can't be intergrated. Our dealer said it would not be cost effecient. All we want is what we ordered. Why is it being so difficult to get???

Quick Reply: Urgent - Help Needed on 2010 Tahoe Rear View Camera Option