Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Urgent - Help Needed on 2010 Tahoe Rear View Camera Option

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2009, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cathypogo
We are going thru the same things with our new 2010 Silverado. We ordered a 2009 and was given a 2010 instead. Something to do with the line change. Anyways, we expected the back up camera with our nav.....but did not receive it. We got the same answer that it could not be added to our nav system. It doesn't make sense. For an extra charge we could have the rear view mirror changed to rear view camera system, with full warranty. We are still searching for answers to WHY or HOW is our nav system sooooo different that the back up system can't be intergrated. Our dealer said it would not be cost effecient. All we want is what we ordered. Why is it being so difficult to get???
Sorry to hear you are having the same issue I am. However, I finally have a material update.

I had to go to the dealership today to pick up my license plates so while I was there I talked to my sales person. He reiterated that the 2010 navigation units were due in soon. I asked about the camera and he repeated the same old line, that it was his understanding that it would not work, that there was something with the 2010 model tailgate that would not allow it. However he told me the parts guy would call me which, surprisingly, he just did. I guess that fact that I haven't done the GM satisfaction survey on my purchase yet provided enough incentive to talk to me.

Anyway, the parts guy told me over the phone that GM would be supplying new rear-view cameras soon, and that they would be 100% compatible with the 2010 navigation units. He said it would be no problem getting everything installed like it should be. Long story short he put in an order for some cameras so once it and the nav unit arrive, I will get them all installed.

Thanks everyone for the help. As soon as everything gets installed I will report back and let you all know if it was successful or not.
Old January 5th, 2010, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

Okay, UPDATE.......after much searching, calls, refusals and questions, we have finally been told we CAN get our nav system add-on upgrade with a backup camera. We were told it would be wired in and programmed through the original system. Full warranty included. Can't wait. I live in Ontario Canada and the place to go to is called Mass Electronics. It is located in Richmond Hill. So, after our salesman was told it could not be done, because Mass said so, they could only change the rear view mirror to camera mirror, we made a few calls to GM/Chevy (the big guns) and they told us Mass COULD do it. We called Mass ourselves and they said it can be done. Around $650 will get it installed and running. We told our sales guy and he checked into it again, and was told the same. Now the dealer is going to get it done for us at even a cheaper cost, but we will be working on getting it free, seeing it was suppose to be included anyway.
Chevy trucks all the way..........HA HA HA!!!
Old January 5th, 2010, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

glad it worked out for you.. what the hell did we ever do before these things? Navigation, Sat radio, ABS, back up cameras and sensors beeping/lighting up? man are we getting dumber by the generation lol
Old September 29th, 2010, 10:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default How about that rear view mirror install?

I understand that this thread deals with newer and later but is very interesting to me anyhow.

I have a 2009 Tahoe that I wanted to install the rear view mirror camera into but I'm having trouble getting parts to order it for me. They tell me the install is too involved and I need to have service install it. Is there a way to get a review of the install procedure so I can verify that? What cabling needs to be exchanged? Is some of it already present but unused?
Old September 29th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Someone here can probably help.
Old December 9th, 2010, 11:26 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Long time no talk to most, hello new guys. Whats up shark?

Anyways, just browsing trying to find some information, it might be on the site already so point me in the right direction if someone knows where the information lies.

Anyways, I have a 2010 Yukon SLT with rearview mirror camera. I am adding the 2010 Factory Navigation/DVD unit to the yukon. Does anyone know if there is a way that the camera will display on the mirror as well as the Nav Screen? I just need the details to make this modification since it shouldnt be too hard. I know it has to be possible, but where do I splice, connect, jumper, etc.

Shark, what chrome board trim did you get? Ebay, parts store? Like it?

Last edited by biglg; December 12th, 2010 at 8:23 AM.
Old December 11th, 2010, 10:27 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Going well. Long time absence for ya.

If the inside mirror uses a video input like the nav unit then I would think you could do it. I assume that's what you meant and not what you posted. Of course there's probably dealer programming req'd.

The trim came from O'Reilly. I seem to remember you did it on your first NBS. Or maybe it was on the rear bumper. It's been awhile.

Don't be a stranger.
Old December 12th, 2010, 8:23 AM
CF Beginner

Talking Back-up camera

All I have posted is true........are back-up camera was added later, and has been a great asset. Read my post regarding details. IT CAN BE DONE!!!! Good luck!!!!
Old December 12th, 2010, 8:26 AM
CF Addict

Thanks shark, fixed the typo.

It has been a long time, I am rarely on the computer so I dont log in much. Winter is always slower so i have some down time to log on.

I did use the trim from AutoZone on a few of my vehicles. I just havent been around for a while so I wondered if there was a different/better alternative out there now.
Old December 12th, 2010, 8:29 AM
CF Addict

Originally Posted by cathypogo
All I have posted is true........are back-up camera was added later, and has been a great asset. Read my post regarding details. IT CAN BE DONE!!!! Good luck!!!!
Thanks for the repsonse. My vehicle has the factory camera that displays through the rear view mirror. I am adding factory navigation and I want the camera to display on the nav unit too. I just need to know where the power wire runs for the rear view mirror that would allow the easiest tap to also put power for the camera to the nav unit. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Urgent - Help Needed on 2010 Tahoe Rear View Camera Option