Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Which used Suburban would you buy? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/used-suburban-would-you-buy-94489/)

Nick Wheeler March 5th, 2019 1:48 PM

Which used Suburban would you buy?

I have a 2003 Sequoia with 264,000 miles on it. Its been maintenance free except for pump and timing at 175,000 miles. I really need more space or i would buy another sequoia.She is old and I want more cargo room. So ive been very interested in a used Suburban. I have 5 kids and we play alot of sports and go on vacation 4 times a year.I wont be using it for towing.I plan on spending $10,000 or less on a used suburban.
Is there a better year than others. Are there any features to steer clear of? I really dont know much about suburbans. Im open to 2003 to present.

. Thanks,
. Nick

Cusser March 5th, 2019 6:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nick Wheeler (Post 379975)
I have a 2003 Sequoia with 264,000 miles on it. Its been maintenance free except for pump and timing at 175,000 miles. I really need more space or i would buy another sequoia.

I suggest a new Sequoia and use a roof rack, rear rack, or small tow-behind trailer.

Originally Posted by Nick Wheeler (Post 379975)
I have 5 kids and we play alot of sports and go on vacation 4 times a year.

Wow !!! I wasn't that fortunate.

Nick Wheeler March 5th, 2019 9:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cusser (Post 379982)
I suggest a new Sequoia and use a roof rack, rear rack, or small tow-behind trailer.

Wow !!! I wasn't that fortunate.

Some are just 4 day get aways. We arent rich by anymeans. With all these kids we take alot of time to enjoy the moment. Some day they will be grown.

02Sub March 6th, 2019 12:52 PM

I have a 2002 and am happy with it. The 2000-2006 Suburbans were reliable and last a long time with good maintenance. There is a lot of cargo area behind the 3 rows of seats. Our 2002 has 206K miles and has been one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned, even with towing a travel trailer a few times a year. Just make sure it comes from a non-winter area because road salt will rust it (like any vehicle).

We have 9 kids and I have a fourth row aftermarket seat that seats 3 kids when mounted in the cargo area for a total seating capacity of 11.

Steve

intheburbs March 6th, 2019 1:22 PM

Where you live, or where the used vehicle lived, would be the deciding factor for me.

Since I live in the upper midwest, rust/salt central, I wanted the newest vehicle I could afford. In other words, I preferred newer with higher miles compared to older with fewer miles. I've had my '08 Suburban for 6 years, it's always been garaged, and I just have light surface rust on the undercarriage.

Yes, the 2000-2006 trucks were pretty solid. My best friend now owns my '01, and while it's rusting away, it still has the original engine and transmission with 250k miles on the clock. Some relatively minor issues - fuel pump, wheel hubs/bearings, exhaust manifold gaskets, power window regulators, but nothing major.

If you look at GMT900 trucks, 2007-2014, I would steer clear of the 5.3. Starting in 2007 the engine has AFM, cylinder deactiviation, and it's a bad design. I'd look for 2007-2009 Yukon XL Denalis with the 6.2 (and no AFM). Not sure if they can be had for your budget with less than 200k. But they do have some handy options that the previous gen trucks don't - remote start, power/remote tailgate, backup camera, quad heated seats, etc.

Bottom line - for your budget - I'd look for 2003-2006 Suburbans and Yukon XLs. But keep an eye out for the diamond-in-the-rough '07-'09 XL Denali.

Cusser March 6th, 2019 2:24 PM

I should say that we have a 2005 Yukon XL Denali with 6.0 engine and all-wheel-drive, ours since 2010, and over 200K on it now. We've been pretty happy with, Mrs. Cusser uses it routinely to tow a horse and horse trailer, says it pulls great (and better than our 1994 Suburban 2WD with 5.7 engine). Yeah, little things like tire pressure sensors being bad when we got it, plastic radiator side exploding, GM heater hose plastic "quick connect" (thanks GM), and transmission ($2K) and starter ($200) were replaced. We're in Arizona, so no rust, and I replaced the AC compressor at about 175K. And I got Mrs. Cusser nice custom-made seat covers for it for Christmas, she loves those (driver seat cover was falling apart).

Nick Wheeler March 7th, 2019 7:30 AM

Gmt800

Originally Posted by Cusser (Post 380026)
I should say that we have a 2005 Yukon XL Denali with 6.0 engine and all-wheel-drive, ours since 2010, and over 200K on it now. We've been pretty happy with, Mrs. Cusser uses it routinely to tow a horse and horse trailer, says it pulls great (and better than our 1994 Suburban 2WD with 5.7 engine). Yeah, little things like tire pressure sensors being bad when we got it, plastic radiator side exploding, GM heater hose plastic "quick connect" (thanks GM), and transmission ($2K) and starter ($200) were replaced. We're in Arizona, so no rust, and I replaced the AC compressor at about 175K. And I got Mrs. Cusser nice custom-made seat covers for it for Christmas, she loves those (driver seat cover was falling apart).

I will test drive any gmt800's I can find and Ill look at the under body for rust. If I can get it for the right price I won't mind spending 2-3k down the road on repairs. I appreciate all the advice!

Would you guys buy a gmt800 with over 200k miles?

Ski-Patroller April 12th, 2019 8:29 PM

Originally Posted by intheburbs (Post 380024)

If you look at GMT900 trucks, 2007-2014, I would steer clear of the 5.3. Starting in 2007 the engine has AFM, cylinder deactiviation, and it's a bad design. I'd look for 2007-2009 Yukon XL Denalis with the 6.2 (and no AFM). Not sure if they can be had for your budget with less than 200k. But they do have some handy options that the previous gen trucks don't - remote start, power/remote tailgate, backup camera, quad heated seats, etc.

What are the issues with the 2007 AFM?? I just bought one with 202 Miles. It is extremely clean and seems to run great. I had a 2001 which was a little rough, but it was hit while parked, and would have been totaled though there was not really that much damage.