Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Water leak in rear cargo area

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2017, 7:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Tahoe LT Leak

Hopefully you have solved your leak by now. (New to forum) I am currently tracing a leak in an 04 Tahoe LT. Driver side. Pulled interior and headliner. Leak appears to be (mainly) originatinating from body seem (middle of cargo area window) between C and D pillar.
Old July 28th, 2017, 9:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought a '13 Suburban. Noticed large water stain in headliner on the passenger side, right in the rear corner. Got it cleaned off, but week later after a heavy rain, the headliner and carpet was wet.
Search and searched for any place it could be coming in. By accident I grab the roof rack...it was loose, just the rear passenger side mount. Tightened the small bolts and thought my leak was fixed. Wrong...next rain I had water dripping
down the inside panel all the way onto the carpet. Searched this forum and learned the bolts (screws) come with a sealer on them. I removed the bolts, applied permatex gasket sealer to the threads...Leak fixed.
The following users liked this post:
Jojo. (March 17th, 2023)
Old September 29th, 2017, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default I have a 2000 Tahoe with Cargo Doors NO sunroof.

When it rains the water pours in from the small round vent on the upper part of the inside in the driver side back near the back cargo doors . Just started doing this after Hurricane Irma. Can't figure out where the water is entering. I have Cargo Doors and No sunroof. It pours out of the vent and down onto the carpet in the back by the rear driver side door. Can't figure out where it is entering. My rubber seals are still in tack and soft. If it is coming out out of the vent where is it entering? Headliner is not wet. will take a photo when it stops raining. ARG!

Last edited by Kitty00; September 29th, 2017 at 6:41 PM.
Old September 30th, 2017, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

You might check around the Sirius/XM antenna on the roof to see if the gasket is still sealing on it.
Old September 30th, 2017, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the idea, but I don't have A Sirius /XM antenna. I do have another antenna on the roof, but I sealed that up after the first leak I had and I thought that would solve the problem after Irma came through. But this leak is different. The headliner above the vent is not wet at all. I am at a loss. I will try running a hose on it and see if I can figure out where it is coming in.
Old October 1st, 2017, 2:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Maybe a roof rack leak?
Old October 2nd, 2017, 9:44 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the roof rack idea, but my headliner was never wet. But I think I may have solved part of the problem. The Black "gills" in the back of the Tahoe, may have a leak through to the inside of the truck where that vent is. Apparently the water was pouring from the roof gutter into the black "gills" and coming out the vent in the back. I have plugged the hole with a piece of foam, and it has deflected it. There must be an opening under those "gills" that has opened up. into the inside of the vents!

I have tried to upload photos 3 times, They are not coming through. But I am not getting an error message, they are all under 5M????

I know my Tahoe's exterior is in rough shape for a 2000. It needs a paint job, but I can't afford it. I wish I could afford it because I only have about 72,000 miles on it and it runs wonderful. I always have my oil changed, and I keep up on all the other levels and repairs. It has been and still is a great Truck. Love my Tahoe.

I need to take it to my mechanic, and see if they can pop those "gills" and seal up the hole, or whatever it is. If not I will use liquid nails to seal it. Just afraid, that if I do, it might make the water come in somewhere else. Any suggestions are welcome!
Old October 2nd, 2017, 4:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Before you do any sealing, run a hose on each grill to verify that's the actual source.
Old February 10th, 2018, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default 08 Trailblazer Rear Cargo Wet

My rear cargo area has a mat covering the whole floor area. It is dry. But, underneath the mat, it is wet. No leaks from the hatch, no wet areas on the ceiling. Part of the floor also has a compartment for storage. It is just mildly most inside it. All I can assume is that the leak is coming from underneath maybe?? The smell I'm getting from the wetness, is the same smell I had in an 03 Trailblazer I had back in 08, so I'm assuming it was the same issue. I never checked for wetness in it. Anyone else had this issue or any ideas? Is there an easy way to pull the carpet up?
Old February 12th, 2018, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If you have the rear AC unit, you might want to make sure its draining properly

Quick Reply: Water leak in rear cargo area