Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

what's still running after engine shut off

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2015, 1:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what's still running after engine shut off

I'm driving a borrowed Chevy Tahoe Suburban with 174k miles-still a good car-but today the ABS light came on & stayed on. When I stopped to clean windshield & turned it off, thought I heard something outside the car still running - possibly a fan. Since I was 'in town'-wasn't sure that's what i was hearing, but when I got home & again turned it off-whatever it is kept running for at least a couple of hours. It's not running now & may find battery dead in the morning, but can't for the life of me figure out what it might be. Anybody out there ever had this experience - please share/advise.
Old March 25th, 2015, 7:28 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default year?

what year?

Many vehicles run fans, suspension, sat nav, etc. systems both before and after a vehicle's engine is 'shut off'.

this is why it's crucial to remove the black (ground) wire when working on modern cars... fans / etc can all spin up any time and take a finger.

I'm going to say it's normal, but the year will help.

If you can get to Advance Auto they will pull codes for free, although when my ABS light was on (mazda) they were not much help.

I borrowed a friend's scanner and it reported the driver front wheel speed sensor failed. (actually the tone ring). $12 part, but you have to remove the CV shaft to do it.. so for $70 you just toss on a whole new CV and go another 150,000 miles.
Old March 25th, 2015, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I agree, a bit more info on the vehicle would be helpful... its possible the "after blow" feature is enabled, it allows the blower for the HVAC system to continue to run for a while after the vehicle is turned off to prevent mold growth in the AC evaporator coil that makes that musty smell....
Old March 25th, 2015, 7:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure you are turning the key all the way off?