Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Whining sound with acceleration

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2019, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ...

I have a 05 chevy tahoe been doing the same thing for almost a year now we rebuilt the rear end then thought it had something to do with the tranny but it went out and has been completely rebuilt and is not the issue either I read somewhere it could be power steering system but I dont understand how it would be that when like u said I hear it around 30 mph and it dies when my foot is off the gas and when I accelerate again it starts winding faster
The following 2 users liked this post by Jessica Warren:
Blatta1999 (September 11th, 2019), Ktmguy9p (January 20th, 2021)
Old September 14th, 2019, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 LTZ whining

did you ever figure our what was causing the whining? I have a 2015 ltz about the same mileage doing the same thing and the dealership told me twice they don’t know what the problem is.

Originally Posted by goody221

I’m new here, how can I post. I have a 2015 LTZ whining at 63000 miles when I accelerate?
Old September 16th, 2019, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Misty Tippetts Orr
did you ever figure our what was causing the whining? I have a 2015 ltz about the same mileage doing the same thing and the dealership told me twice they don’t know what the problem is.
No I never could figure it out. I ended up getting rid of it. I did find some information that the bolts on the flex plate start loosening, which can cause the sound. I never got the opportunity to test to see if that would fix it.
Old September 25th, 2019, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default Whine

whine more like someone playing one note on a recorder, but only when you are pressing on the gas. Start checking fuel pressure regulators, filters, in line or otherwise, and finally your pump itself. But also check things on the pump like wiring, is it getting a solid ground, is it getting the proper voltage. Certain things on these model year trucks make a certain kind of noise. Be careful of who you have fix it. Problem could be as simple as a faulty fuel cap or your tank isnt vented properly.
Old October 4th, 2019, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by stacy thomas
did you find the solution to your problem i have an 03 chevy silverado doing the same thing i changed the carrier bearing and that wasn't it.
well it was my rear end that went out.. A seal blew out and gear oil leaked out everywhere. Bought a rebuild kit and had a friend fix it.
Old October 5th, 2019, 10:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Savy Lynn Flygare
Check to see if your power steering pump is bad..
Could be the speedometer cable
Old October 14th, 2019, 7:16 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Blatta1999
the humming sound comes on acceleration and seems to slow down when not on the gas. The video shows the sound and you can hear it change as I get on the gas. I haven’t noticed anything clunking or anything. I checked front wheels and they didn’t seem to show bad wheel bearing from test but may be.

https://youtu.be/DQDk0i0UGHs
Exactly what mine is doing. 08 Tahoe 2wd. Sound seems to be from the rear. Sound is active while accelerating and dies off when I let off. While at speed and I switch to idle, it stops completely. I've also reved the engine while at speed in idle, no noise. Sound started out faint in the beginning, and has gotten as loud as yours over the last few weeks. I've read the whole thread and the conversation went all over the place. This video is my sound exactly. Did you find a solution?

Last edited by Steve Bollinger; October 14th, 2019 at 7:25 AM.
Old November 23rd, 2019, 9:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Has anyone figured out what this is?

Originally Posted by Blatta1999
the humming sound comes on acceleration and seems to slow down when not on the gas. The video shows the sound and you can hear it change as I get on the gas. I haven’t noticed anything clunking or anything. I checked front wheels and they didn’t seem to show bad wheel bearing from test but may be.

https://youtu.be/DQDk0i0UGHs

Has anyone ever figured out this noise?
Old November 27th, 2019, 11:43 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I had that I had my differential rebuilt and that fixed it. It's very common with GM trucks and SUVs. I had 240,000 when mine went. No disgrace in that. It cost me $1,400.00 to get it done.
Old March 18th, 2020, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Default Sounds to me that you have a bad alternator

It sounds like bc a bad alternator and the house might be going through your speakers.
Originally Posted by belving6
I have a 99 with 170k miles. I'm hearing this whining sound that starts around 40 mph. It's faint and only happens when on the accelerator. Goes away when letting off the gas and comes back when on the gas. Its constant while cruising. Sounds like it is coming from the front but not sure. After taking it to 3 mechanics, diagnosis was trany pump was going out and i needed new transmission. Took it to have the trany rebuilt and there was nothing wrong with trany. So far I have replaced differential fluids in front and rear, front differential gear and bearing, pitman arm, trany diagnosed, U joints, front and rear brakes. Unfortunately after lots of money and mechanics, I still have no idea what is causing the noise. Anyone ever experience this before? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: Whining sound with acceleration