Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Windshield cracked sitting in driveway (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/windshield-cracked-sitting-driveway-9486/)

cocodrie55 September 3rd, 2007 7:43 PM

Windshield cracked sitting in driveway

I parked my 2007 in the driveway and when I came out about an hour later the windshield was cracked starting from under the windshield wiper on the passengers side up about 15". Glass had spalled out of an elongated area abut 1/2 in long near the beginning of the crack. Nothing hit the windshield, I believe this was a spontaneous crack, maybe caused by a flaw in the windshield. Has anyone else had this happen on an 07?

RonH September 3rd, 2007 10:42 PM

RE: Windshield cracked sitting in driveway

Are you surethat nothing hit the windshield? Couldn't the spalled area be an impact area?

GIXXER September 3rd, 2007 11:12 PM

I bet a rock hit the windshield before without necessarily leaving a mark and then either the temperature variance between inside and out made the window crack. I had this happen to my Malibu Maxx when going through a touchless car wash. Basically the hot wax went on and 'crack' went the windshield... didn't bother saying anything to the wash place since nothing of theirs actually hit the windshield. Bet its the same kinda thing with yours.

cocodrie55 September 4th, 2007 8:24 AM

The spalled area is almost under the windshield wiper, just on the edge of the blade. I guess anything is possible, but I will let the dealer look at it today to see if it is a defective windshield. I'm used to seeing a star when a rock hits the windshield, and you "hear" that.

RonH September 4th, 2007 1:10 PM

Or while you were inside the house, some kids a block over from you were trying out their new slingshot with ball bearings.

BRONCOBOY September 5th, 2007 5:34 PM

Same thing happened to me, driving into my drivway POP and the winshield was done and my Tahoe had 1800 miles on it. Dealer said they havent had a problem, something must have hit it. There were no signs of damage or debri that chipped it anywhere. $260.00 later I have my new windshield installed.

madpaddla December 14th, 2007 10:30 AM

The windshield on my 2007 Malibu cracked in the driveway this morning - I am confident that there was not a 'ding' in the windshield anywhere near the crack. It cracked in almost a semicircle right around where the defroster is (I live in CT and there was plenty of ice and snow on the windshield). I'm going to go through the pain of trying to have the warranty cover it, but I will probably have to put in a claim on my insurance....

Not too happy - the car is only 8 months old... will this happen every winter?

aznsoda December 14th, 2007 11:29 AM

Just got my windshield replaced on my 07 tahoe...when I took it to the dealership they explained to me that if there is a crack on the windshield aka stress fracture, they will replace it through the warranty but if they see an impact spot from road debris it was out of my pocket. Unfortunately mine was a pebble so I went through my insurance and luckily I had 0 deductible for winshields so my insurance covered it. my .02

ZX1100F1 December 14th, 2007 11:43 AM

Welcome aznsoda.
What your dealer told you is the correct way to handle this concern.
It is very easy to tell if the windshield was damaged by an object or a stress fracture.
While stress cracks are not very common they can occur and GM will replace the windshield under warranty if that is the case.

addkev December 15th, 2007 7:45 AM

Many states require insurance companies to replace windshields for free.