Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

'07 + DIY Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Replacement - 20 minutes!

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2016, 4:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you everyone here for the info on this sensor,, my mechanic buddy changed it for me. For a small job,,, it is not real easy,,,, and brought some nasty phrases, but the next one will be easier,,,,,,. He did not remove anything, except the engine cover, so that added to the nasty phrases a little. But no more low oil alarm, 60psi oil pressure,,, all is good,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, thanks again,,,,,
Old April 15th, 2016, 1:52 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PtownBubba
I think I have this problem,,,,, all of a sudden,,, oil alarm sounded off,, message no / low oil pressure,,, gauge at zero,,,,,, YIKES !!!! But oil on dipstick, and no rattle or common noises from a motor with true "0" oil pressure,,,,,,,,,,,,,,. Oil gauge will move up a little then fall back, with each restart. So,,,, looks like a a sensor failure, yes ?
Hey PtownBubba

We’re sorry to hear that you’re experiencing concerns with your vehicle. Please feel free to send us a private message if we can be of any assistance. We’re always glad to help.

Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 16th, 2017, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed it in 45 mins.

I just bought a 2007 Vortec Max with the LS2 motor with 148k miles on it, well the oil sensor light came on and it showed 0 on the pressure gauge. Well I did some checking around and found this thread, which helped me very much. Well needless to say I went and picked up the sensor at o'riellys well after about 45 mins I had it taken apart and put back together, the gauge jumped up to about 20 instantly. I also did some calling around about how low the pressure was and the mechanic said that 700-1000 Rpm it would only have about 6 psi and at 4000 Rpm it would only have about 24 psi.

Thank you guys guys very much for the help.
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:55 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Roger, congrats on getting the job done your way instead of the dealer's way!
I don't know much about the '07 Vortec Max engine and how many components/systems it shares with the 5.3 found in the Suburban, but since you recently bought this truck and may not know its full maintenance history, you might want to read my post here just for the hell of it....and to give you extra peace of mind. The thread describes low pressure readings in the 5.3L engine not related to a bad switch/sensor or a bad sensor connection.
Old April 13th, 2019, 10:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read this threat last night and completed the installation this morning. Literally took me about 1 hour to do and that was me going super slow. Thanks for posting this.

Also, remember that after you get the sensor out that there is a filter in there as well. You will need to fish it out with a hanger or a screw ( I used a screw). The filter costs 5.00 at advanced auto. Its worth replacing that too as well because I only want to replace this one.

I called Midas and inquired about how much it would cost for them to do it and they said $396 plus tax. Luckily I had already did it, I just wanted to see how much I saved.
The following users liked this post:
Blondie70 (January 1st, 2024)
Old April 14th, 2019, 11:24 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by scottn81
I called Midas and inquired about how much it would cost for them to do it and they said $396 plus tax. Luckily I had already did it, I just wanted to see how much I saved.
Wow, even if the part(s) were marked up to $75 (which is a lot), that's unbelievable amount of labor for this job. Especially for a mechanic who has done this job before. I can't fathom this being more than 1 hour flat rate for a mechanic.

From repairpal: "The average cost for an oil pressure sensor replacement is between $113 and $151. Labor costs are estimated between $81 and $103 while parts are priced between $32 and $48. Estimate does not include taxes and fees."

But this site shows the dealer wanting $500 for the job https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Chevy-e...-pressure.html
Old April 15th, 2019, 9:22 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusser
Wow, even if the part(s) were marked up to $75 (which is a lot), that's unbelievable amount of labor for this job. Especially for a mechanic who has done this job before. I can't fathom this being more than 1 hour flat rate for a mechanic.

From repairpal: "The average cost for an oil pressure sensor replacement is between $113 and $151. Labor costs are estimated between $81 and $103 while parts are priced between $32 and $48. Estimate does not include taxes and fees."

But this site shows the dealer wanting $500 for the job https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Chevy-e...-pressure.html
I believe that the model-specific service manual calls for removal of the intake, due to the inaccessibility of the sensor - at least from GM's standpoint. That would explain the high estimate.