Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

2007-13 Chevy Suburban Shift issues - replace TECHM

Old April 24th, 2017, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2007-13 Chevy Suburban Shift issues - replace TECHM

Bought a 2009 Suburban 1500 with 238K miles this January. Previous owner shared that it would intermittent stall when coming to a stop. And I noticed that shifting from Park to Drive typically took about 1/2 a second. Also - after a long drive - I popped a P0742 code near my house (while I was on the highway). Thankfully - I was able to drive home no problem.

Considered replacing the Pressure film on the pressure film on the TECHM but decided to go with a full replacement after I found that Dorman remanufactured the TECHM with sturdier pressure films.

Bought at RockAuto for $597 - includes free overnight shipping and a $300 core return refund.

For my truck - it was the Dorman 609-003 (Transmission Control Module | Remanufactured Transmission Electro-Hydraulic Control Module | 609-003 | Dorman Products). They have a video showing the entire process - you do need a torx bit to remove the TECHM from the valve body.

Should take 30-45 mins if you have all the tools/materials at hand.

Made a huge improvement for my truck. Shifts into drive immediately now and otherwise shifts smoothly. And no more stalls.

I think for some of you experiencing problems out there the culprit may very well be the TECHM as the OEM films are known to warp with exposed to debris.

Overall - it was $375 (accounting for the $300 core charge refund) and about an hour of my time.

Well worth the money.

Search this Thread