Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

Reverse lights do not work - wanted to install an aftermarket backup camera/sensors

Old August 9th, 2017, 9:40 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reverse lights do not work - wanted to install an aftermarket backup camera/sensors

Good morning all!

Been a while since I have been on the forum, good to be back!

Here's my story. I bought a 2008 Tahoe LT1 and replaced the whole interior; I went from grey cloth seats/grey dash to black leather seats/black dash (and of course all the misc components changed to black also). The new interior came off a crashed Yukon Denali, 2WD. I kept the same ECM. After everything said and done, my reverse lights never worked again. I looked up the schematics of the computer and found the plug with the wire output for the reverse lights. The ECM does not have any power output to the lights when put in reverse (positive polarity output). Both bulbs are good.

I was trying to find another way to get signal to power the aftermarket camera and sensors on the rear bumper when the car is put in reverse. I could not find a source signal. I do realize, that when I changed the setting on the cluster for the side mirrors to automatically face down, when Reverse is engaged, they do move; and they also go back to the normal state when getting out of reverse, meaning there is signal coming and going.

So question is, do I have a programming issue? Do I need a new ECM? Is there another safe source I can use to power my camera and sensors, and perhaps also isolate my reverse light bulbs form the computer and have them working again? I have no problem adding a relay to provide sufficient power.

Thanks for all your help in advance.
Old March 16th, 2018, 5:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious if you had found a solution as I'm having the same issue with my 13 Sierra 1500.

Search this Thread