Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2007, 1:13 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)

ORIGINAL: EliteDetailOC
I cant see spending 500+ on a back up cam set up BUT my avalanche is lifted 10" so I cant see anything behind me!
well, you have a few options to be under $200 and have a back up camera
easyest solution would be lisence plate camera, and just wire it to your factory nav radio. I assume that you already have a brown connector installed. or you can buy flash mount type camera ( I've seen them on eBay for like $50) and mountin the same place where factory one would go. a little more work then with a license plate one, but you'll get a better view
Old March 13th, 2007, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

what is this brown connector your speaking of? I am very mechanically incline so i wont have a problem if i need to run wires. I just need to know what it takes to get it all hooked up, preferably without chopping any of the factory wiring up. I would prefer a plug and play set up. Thanks
Old March 13th, 2007, 2:51 PM
CF Active Member

I hope we are talking about same vehicle (your Avalanche)
from what you said, you installed nav radio your self, so I assume you installe connector as well for your VSS wire connection. same connector take camera input signal, so all you got to do is connect your aftermarket video camera signal wire into that connector, and connect power wire of your camera to positive sourse, run wires and you done.
Old March 13th, 2007, 5:11 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed a Kenwood CCD-900. I got it off ebay for around $135 shipped and purchaed a connector from www.jpcustoms.com. I think I had about 150-160 in it total, and of course my labor.
Old March 13th, 2007, 5:16 PM
CF Addict

ORIGINAL: EliteDetailOC

what is this brown connector your speaking of? I am very mechanically incline so i wont have a problem if i need to run wires. I just need to know what it takes to get it all hooked up, preferably without chopping any of the factory wiring up. I would prefer a plug and play set up. Thanks
There is a thread with step by step insructions on the kenwood installation. Search for a thread titled something like "canyou make heads or tails of this". You should find everything you need in that post!
Old March 13th, 2007, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

perfect! thanks guys. and yes I got the wire kit from JP for the navi install. So I need to order another wire kit for the camera deal? Thanks again, Im going to check into the kenwood 900 cam. Hopefully i can get something i can mount like the OEM unit, it looks clean and pretty well hidden.
Old March 13th, 2007, 7:11 PM
CF Addict

Elite,
Check this link out, https://chevroletforum.com/m_15129/tm.htm. If you tell JP what you are doing, installing the kenwood ccd-900 they will get you what you need!If you have the C3 connector in the back of your radio, you dont need another connector. What you need is an RCA that has two wires with the wire pins connected. You will put the 2 wire pins from the RCA into the harness plug. Then you will run the RCA from the camera box (included with the kenwood) to the RCA you get from JP customs. This will provide the video feed! There should be pics of the camera and all the details at the link above. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions.
Old March 16th, 2007, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

thanks Big. I will call them today to see about ordering the RCA kit for the back up install. I found the back up cam on ebay for 118.00 new. wonder how much this wire kit is from JP to hook it all up, will soon find out
Old March 19th, 2007, 11:28 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have two questions--

1) Does the nav radio need to be dealer flashed after installing the Kenwood CCD-900?

2) Can the Kenwood camera "see" a trailer ball so you can back up and stop directly under the trailer tongue?

Thanks

Old March 26th, 2007, 7:30 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For those that may be interested I did have to have the radio flashed for the back-up camera. The tech that originally did the flash after I installed the nav radio said that he looked for a camera in the RPO codes in the glovebox and that is what they go by. So anybody thinking they may want to add a camera later should tell the dealer to also flash it for the camerea even though you don't have one, and yes they CAN do it without the camera hooked up as my camera is not installed yet and the camera function in the nav radio works fine now!
Here is the info from the dealer computer -- the nav unit with no camera was originally flashed with the code #15260990 which means no camera and was then flashed to code #15260994 which is "For Avalanche/Escalade EXT with RPO UVC". This was for the Bose with Bose upgraded speaker package and no rear DVD/Entertainment system.

Quick Reply: OEM Reverse Back-up Camera (Full Parts List)