Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2000 Tracker 4x4 rear diff id

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2024, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Tracker 4x4 rear diff id

Hi all

Just got a 2000 Chevy Tracker, its a 2.0 automatic 4x4, it runs fine, but is leaking pretty much all over, not much, but I would like to get it as nice and dry as possible

Looking to ID my rear diff, its marked 390 or 39C, see attached photo , would this be the original rear diff, and any good sources for gaskets and seals ?

Any good sources for parts catalogs and exploded view would be much appreciated

TIA

Klaus

Old September 21st, 2024, 4:04 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 68 Posts

The first two numbers tell you the number of teeth on ring gear. I don't know what the letter stands for.

This is my differential.

Klaus, you did not specify your skill level so here are some things you may or may not know:
1. The Tracker is a rebadged Suzuki Grand Vitara. Suzuki parts are often easier to locate (ie.megazip.net)
2. Limited Tracker parts can be found on RockAuto.com

3. The drain and fill bolts on the differentials look like 3/8" square drive but they are actually 10mm.
4. Always remove the fill bolt first. If that won't come out, don't drain the differential because you can't refill it.
Old September 21st, 2024, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi L84sky

Thanks for taking the time to answer

I have been wrenching most of my life, I am Danish and mechanics are very expensive in Denmark, so you learn how to do it yourself I now live in Mexico, labor is cheap, but skill level is not really to my liking, so I do most things myself.

I am new to 4x4 though, although I do have a 1993 F150 manual with 4x4 I have never really worked much on it, I live in the forest and only use it to pick up water .

I am aware of the rebranding, but I thought a 2000 second gen would be a Vitara and not Grand Vitara, but I am sure you are correct. I will give looking for Suzuki parts a try,

Good advice on the Drain / fill plugs, I was aware of that, but had completely forgot to think about it, I will make sure to get hold of a 10 mm square, or make one myself

Thanks for your help, much apriciated

Greetings from the Yucatan

Klaus

Old September 21st, 2024, 8:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 68 Posts

From Wikipedia:

The second generation was launched in 1998 under the "Grand Vitara" badge in most markets. It was accompanied by a still larger SUV known as the Suzuki XL-7 (known as Grand Escudo in Japan). The third generation was launched in 2005 [still called "Grand Vitara"].

The fourth generation, released in 2015, reverted to the original name "Vitara" in most markets, but shifted from an off-road SUV towards a more road-oriented crossover style. It shares the platform and many components with the slightly larger SX4 S-Cross.[2]

The model introduced in 2022 for the Indian market only reuses the "Grand Vitara" nameplate. It is slightly larger than the SX4 S-Cross.

Last edited by L84sky; September 21st, 2024 at 8:20 PM.