Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

2003 Tracker Engine Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2018, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Tracker Engine Upgrade

Brand new here with my first post. Appreciate any help.
I recently bought a 2003 Tracker---- 4 cylinder/2wd/5speed/2door/convertible-----and lovin' it!!
I already am wanting a bit more power and am kicking around the idea of pulling the 4cyl and replacing with the 6cyl engine that comes in other Tracker models.
Would this be an easy power upgrade or is there some unforeseen problems lurking in the process?
Old June 11th, 2018, 8:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Buyers Remorse?

Originally Posted by tttmex
Brand new here with my first post. Appreciate any help.
I recently bought a 2003 Tracker---- 4 cylinder/2wd/5speed/2door/convertible-----and lovin' it!!
I already am wanting a bit more power and am kicking around the idea of pulling the 4cyl and replacing with the 6cyl engine that comes in other Tracker models.
Would this be an easy power upgrade or is there some unforeseen problems lurking in the process?
I believe you are bored and just looking for some conversation about your new toy. Fine.
Otherwise, you are clearly not mechanically inclined (or you wouldn’t ask such a naive question) and you have more money than you know what to do with.
Set some of that money aside because next you will want to add four wheel drive and paint it another color.
So let me stop you right here.
SELL the Tracker you have NOW. Go BUY the Tracker you WANT. Have patience. Now you know something about Trackers. I have two of them. The first one I bought on impulse. The second one, I shopped knowing what I wanted the second time around.
Go buy the one you want. Instant gratification.
Old June 11th, 2018, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracker Engine Upgrade

Oh. I see. In other words...YOU DON'T KNOW THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION.....Why reply in the first place? Perhaps it is YOU that is bored(?)
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Okay, here we go.
Changing an engine block affects much more than just horse power. A larger engine weighs more and will affect your front end weight, balance, and alignment. The drive shaft is balanced and rated for the original 2.0 L engine. Higher horse power may affect the driveline by twisting it in high torque conditions. All of your gear ratios (transmission, transfer box, front and rear differentials) are rated to effectively handle the 2.0 L motor.
Even the battery is rated in CCA (cold cranking amps) to accommodate the original motor. If you live in a colder part of the country, you will probably need a more powerful battery.
And what about COST? What is the return on investment? Let me save you the trouble of looking it up.
2.0 L engine is rated at 127 hp. The 2.5 L engine is rated at 155 hp. That’s 28 hp difference. The cost of a 2.5 L is about $1400 JUST for the motor. (Installation extra.) You’ll pay $50 per 1 hp increase. Think about installing a turbo?
Bottom line.
Changing an engine changes much, much more than just horsepower. Be prepared for little unexpected changes that will reach into your wallet.

You’re welcome.
Old June 18th, 2018, 2:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Sorry if I seemed a little short with you initially. That was way back in June 2018 BC (before coffee).
Maybe hang on to the Tracker you have for now. Play with it for a little bit. And then trade it or sell it for the Tracker you really want.
BTW: have you noticed parts are a little hard to come by? I don’t mean spark plugs and fan belts. I mean truly unique Chevy/Suzuki parts.
Not impossible to find but it can be challenging at times. I have found body parts and interior components at a couple of local junkyards.
Maybe try that too.
Good luck. Have fun!