Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Disengaging Heater pipe from Water Pump Enclosure

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2018, 7:20 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Disengaging Heater pipe from Water Pump Enclosure

Aloha! I am a diy guy and in the midst of performing a cooling system overhaul on my 2001 Tracker 2.0 2DR Conv. 4x4. I am currently ready to separate the water pump from the engine block. The only hard copy after-market repair manual I could find as a guide says: "On DOHC engines, disconnect the heater outlet hose, remove the heater outlet pipe bolt (I have)...and remove the heater outlet pipe". Are they referring to the length of heater hose connecting the end of this pipe that is between the rear of the engine and the firewall to the heater outlet pipe penetrating the firewall? And if so, why? To give enough play to pull the pipe out of the back of the water pump enclosure? Is there any reason why I couldn't, once the water pump enclosure is separated from the engine block, pull the water pump enclosure toward the front of the car (radiator and fan are removed, plenty of room) while holding that pipe stationary so they'll separate, and not disconnect it from the other end? Especially if I have another friend willing to assist me? Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated (I've included a picture of where I'm at with this and a picture of the relevant illustration from the repair manual). Enclosure is unfastened from the engine block and ready to be separated from the engine block, notes regarding heater pipe on picture.

Illustration directions from repair manual.