Tracker 1989-2004
This compact SUV proved itself to be a fine ecnomical vehicle, good for making its way along any type of surface.
Platform: CAMI (Suzuki)

Right front axle removal

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2018, 5:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Right front axle removal

I removed the right front axle today on a 2002 chevy tracker and the snap ring broke as I was prying the axle out. Oh yes half the ring dropped in the differential. So how do I fish it out. I have been poking around thru the axle shaft hole and the drain hole with a magnet hoping I would get it. No luck so far. So I suppose this means I have to take the differential out of the tracker and then take it apart to find the part. Not excited about this. Any Ideas???
Old September 12th, 2018, 7:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by lmay883
I removed the right front axle today on a 2002 chevy tracker and the snap ring broke as I was prying the axle out. Oh yes half the ring dropped in the differential. So how do I fish it out. I have been poking around thru the axle shaft hole and the drain hole with a magnet hoping I would get it. No luck so far. So I suppose this means I have to take the differential out of the tracker and then take it apart to find the part. Not excited about this. Any Ideas???
Don't you hate it when stuff like that happens? Anyhow, they make a flexible magnetic tool that can get into more places. The problem is that the differential is made of iron too,
so its not an easy task.
Old September 16th, 2018, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had to take the front differential out of the tracker and then pull the carrier Assyrian from the housing. Found the broken piece of the snap ring. All back together and have been driving the tracker. What a pain it was to find the broken piece.
Old September 16th, 2018, 6:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by lmay883
Had to take the front differential out of the tracker and then pull the carrier Assyrian from the housing. Found the broken piece of the snap ring. All back together and have been driving the tracker. What a pain it was to find the broken piece.
LOL!! You ain't jokng about that!

Like they say: " It's always something"
Old October 15th, 2018, 12:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 66 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen to me. Harbor Freight sells a small retrieval magnet that fits down in the differential. I fished out the missing half of the snap ring on the first try.