Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   TrailBlazer (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/trailblazer-27/)
-   -   Difficulty removing trans pan? (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/trailblazer-27/difficulty-removing-trans-pan-94846/)

the Brain March 30th, 2019 3:41 PM

Difficulty removing trans pan?

07 saab97x 5.3i same as V8 model trailblazer crossover exhaust seams to be obstructing dropping pan.

I’m trying to drain the trans. And replace filter. First I need to completely drop the pan or is the filter swaped w/ pan hanging down?

Any tips on dropping the GM trans pan. Thanks TB

oilcanhenry March 30th, 2019 4:18 PM

Originally Posted by the Brain (Post 425361)

07 saab97x 5.3i same as V8 model trailblazer crossover exhaust seams to be obstructing dropping pan.

I’m trying to drain the trans. And replace filter. First I need to completely drop the pan or is the filter swaped w/ pan hanging down?

Any tips on dropping the GM trans pan. Thanks TB

I would take it to an exhaust shop and move that exhaust tube. Heat kills auto trannies and no way is the exhaust getting that close to my auto transmission. Then you can drop the pan with ease. I can't see your setup but you MIGHT be able to change the filter, but I doubt it if it has some of the long plastic tubes going up into the trans. You have to remove the seal and install a new one too. Why in the **** did they run the exhaust right under the pan? Man, that is some stupid engineering if you ask me.

tech2 March 30th, 2019 8:18 PM

I have a friend pry down on the pipe with a pry bar..I'm on a hoist though so it easy than laying on your back on the ground. It will come out. even with the pry... there is a trick to it...move it the right way and it comes out with no drag.

the Brain March 31st, 2019 6:18 AM

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry (Post 425362)
I would take it to an exhaust shop and move that exhaust tube. Heat kills auto trannies and no way is the exhaust getting that close to my auto transmission. Then you can drop the pan with ease. I can't see your setup but you MIGHT be able to change the filter, but I doubt it if it has some of the long plastic tubes going up into the trans. You have to remove the seal and install a new one too. Why in the **** did they run the exhaust right under the pan? Man, that is some stupid engineering if you ask me.

are you saying to relocate this crossover pipe or just lower it?

come to think this would be a good spot for a heat shield but that would make too much sense remember this is a GM.

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 425372)
I have a friend pry down on the pipe with a pry bar..I'm on a hoist though so it easy than laying on your back on the ground. It will come out. even with the pry... there is a trick to it...move it the right way and it comes out with no drag.

excellent advice as usell thanks I'm on my own laying on my back on the ground. maybe I could pry down and hold it down w/ a block in between.

plan A:I actually think if the shifter was moved a tad I could wiggle the pan down I believe GM used a star type screw (unknown size) to prevent DIYers from maintaining the car.

plan B:have you tryed to use a racket strape to pull down on the pass. side exhaust, I've sean a few videos of this procedure however it was on a silverado?

plan C: cut that dam pipe out the way remember GM 4th gen F-bodys w/ the flattened Y-pipe I can take out GM caused fustration on flattening the pipe.

plan D: put back together w/ old fliter and incorporate a externel fliter.

edit: can the trans be jacked up for extra clearance? if yes how?
Thanks for advice TB

tech2 March 31st, 2019 9:59 AM

if u can't get it out yourself by prying it down. do not cut the pipe; it a $800 converter ypipe. take it to a shop and have it done. its a $250 service. Some stuff, its not worth to do yourself in the driveway.

after the filter changed. from there forward leave the filter and do complete trans fluid exchanges.

oilcanhenry March 31st, 2019 7:38 PM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 425393)
if u can't get it out yourself by prying it down. do not cut the pipe; it a $800 converter ypipe. take it to a shop and have it done. its a $250 service. Some stuff, its not worth to do yourself in the driveway.

after the filter changed. from there forward leave the filter and do complete trans fluid exchanges.

Yeap. Things like this need a shop tech. Question Tech2: You don't believe in dropping the transmission pan and changing the filter. along with the transmission fluid?

@Brain: If the auto tranny fluid gets too hot it can damage the tranny. There is no way that I would allow the exhaust near my transmission and while heat shields have their place, this isn't one of them, IMO.

tech2 March 31st, 2019 8:24 PM

when I was with gm....word passed down to the dealership level from engineering was...new vehicles...complete fluid exchanges done at the scheduled interval; no filter change was required.

some new trans that have a filter...the filter is only accessible during a rebuild. Asian trans do not use a depth filter but rather a mesh screen.

when I buy a used vehicle and I do not know the service history...I drop the pan, change the filter, examine the pan for unusual debris. if all is ok...exchange all the fluid....and never touch the filter again...next 60 000 miles...complete fluid exchange.

That's what I prefer, to each there own. 12-17 liters of fluid vs the labour time for a pan drop and you only change half the fluid...I prefer to get all the old fluid out.

Irish_alley March 31st, 2019 10:51 PM

note theres a difference in a fluid exchange vs a flush. Even Gm says no flush, except for on trans coolers and thats after a bad trans was replaced

the Brain April 1st, 2019 6:42 AM

I really screwed the pouch on this one by not researching before attempting to drop pan. the 97x is a new vehicle to me w/155K miles and dirty trans fuild.

I was actually thinking this filter swap would be a piece of cake since the shifter had it’s own mounts, when I did the filter on the car I learned the hard way to apply the red gasket maker on those two pan & shifter bolts.

97x rear is on rhino ramp behind front wheels are 17” stands halfway up so it’s not elevated much.I don’t have a real pry bar, do have a 18” flat pry bar. Probably try to loosen the y-pipe since I have new studs.

when I did the lifter swap the air impact gun counldn’t loosen those nuts they where rusted solid needed a cheater pipe on a breaker bar.

I see the trans mount and think could gain a tad of clearance loosening and jacking up the trans.

If I’m unsucsessfull loosening Y then on to plan D.

I sure hope all the pan bolts are the same length because I didn’t take note of each bolts location (like I usalley draw a image of bolt pattern on a piece of card board and insert each bolt in it’s designated location w/ my luck there’s probably a long one and I don’t know where to install it.

tech2 April 1st, 2019 5:53 PM

the pan gasket is re-useable ;if its the oem gasket. if its not leaking...reuse it and don't apply any rtv or gasket maker. some people throw out the $120 re-useable gasket and put in the cheap cork gasket that comes with aftermarket filters.