Traverse Chevrolet's full size Crossover. Introduced in the model year 2009, the Traverse is a stylish and highly fuel efficient cross between a powerful SUV and a spacious minivan.

2014 Chevrolet Traverse
Platform: Lambda

Traverse - Dead Battery?

Old September 20th, 2015, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 Chevy Traverse LS and I have recently noticed battery problems. I've had to jump start it several times. I just went outside a little while ago and yet again. Dead battery. I only have this problem if my vehicle sits for two days. I've hade the battery checked and I was told it was good. They told me to bring it back by the store when it happens again, but the battery will be fully charged after I jump start it and then drive it 30 mins. To get there. I have checked the connections at the alternator and the battery and they were good. Can anyone shed some light on this problem I'm having? Thanks
The following users liked this post:
Stangcrazy (December 21st, 2019)
Old September 21st, 2015, 1:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Deyo
I have a 2011 Chevy Traverse LS and I have recently noticed battery problems. I've had to jump start it several times. I just went outside a little while ago and yet again. Dead battery. I only have this problem if my vehicle sits for two days. I've hade the battery checked and I was told it was good. They told me to bring it back by the store when it happens again, but the battery will be fully charged after I jump start it and then drive it 30 mins. To get there. I have checked the connections at the alternator and the battery and they were good. Can anyone shed some light on this problem I'm having? Thanks
Hello Chris,

We truly apologize for this, and can understand how frustrating this may seem. Have you considered bringing this to the dealership's attention? They will be in the best position to address this, and we would be happy to get in touch with them.

Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 28th, 2015, 11:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default same battery drain issue

I have the same issue with my 2010 LS traverse. If you don't drive it for two days, battery will drain and it won't crank and you need to jump it. Dealer had it for a week. Issue still exists. Have to buy a new battery about once a year because it is always being charged and drained. Will be contacting dealer again, but do not want to give them more money to try and fix it again. Not sure they will work on it under those terms.
Old January 8th, 2017, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue

We are having the same issue with our 2011 traverse. Car is completely dead and key gets stuck in ignition. Only happens after sitting over a 24-48+ hour period. The second time we jumped off and replaced the battery. Third time (today) it had to be jumped off despite brand new battery. The vehicle sat in our drive for 72 hours between starts. Has any definitive fix been uncovered for this issue? Taking it to dealership tomorrow.

Thanks
Old January 9th, 2017, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default same battery drain issue -update

Just to provide an update. This has never been resolved for us. We have had the problem for years. We make sure we drive the vehicle often enough so the battery doesn't fully drain. However, even though we do that, we still have to get a replacement battery about every 6 months to a year because the battery constantly drains and recharges. This is hard on the battery and eventually results in a dead cell over time.

The dealer had the car in for a week back in 2015. They put the battery on an amp meter that keeps a history of battery draw over night. Apparently modules turn on automatically during the night. They replaced one of the modules and said on average the draw was acceptable. However, the problem wasn't resolved. Unless the dealer has a tool that can isolate which module is causing the draw during the night, it is hard to diagnose.

Rdmoore71, Let me know if you find anything out. thanks! Scott.
Old January 9th, 2017, 8:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default same battery drain issue -update

To add.. Driving just short distances each day will not keep the battery charged enough. Over time this results in the dead battery situation. Secondly, if we let it sit for two days, the battery drains to the point where it will not start the next day. Same issue.
Old January 10th, 2017, 1:36 PM
Official GM Rep

Hello Rdmoore71,
We are very sorry to hear that you are experiencing this battery concern. We'd be happy to get in contact with your dealership to provide an additional layer of support. Please send us a private message if this is something you are interested in.
Thank you
Netty J.

Originally Posted by Rdmoore71
We are having the same issue with our 2011 traverse. Car is completely dead and key gets stuck in ignition. Only happens after sitting over a 24-48+ hour period. The second time we jumped off and replaced the battery. Third time (today) it had to be jumped off despite brand new battery. The vehicle sat in our drive for 72 hours between starts. Has any definitive fix been uncovered for this issue? Taking it to dealership tomorrow.

Thanks
Old January 10th, 2017, 2:00 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi scottc1k,
We regret to hear that you are continuing to have this concern with your vehicle and can certainly understand your frustration. Although we cannot guarantee any particular outcome, we would be happy to reach out to your dealership to gather some additional information. Please let us know if this is something you'd be interested in.

Best,

Netty J.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 26th, 2017, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Starting to think my Traverse is a LEMON

I have a 2012 Traverse LTZ AWD with roughly 56K miles on it. Every scheduled maintenance has been performed and we've taken impeccable care of it. A few months ago we started having issues with it starting. Wouldn't start on the first try, would start on the second. Now it will be completely dead in the morning when I go to start it. Have had it towed to the dealer, they recharge it, and then the same problem happens to them. Battery is completely dead in the morning. Battery was replaced one year ago, so it can't be a battery issue. They are now shutting power to the components one by one to see which one is draining the battery.

This is now the 4th time in 6 months this has happened, and no resolution has been found. I've been stranded with my kids 3 times. Seeing that this is a big issue with these cars as I'm researching, GM needs to correct this.

We've been a Chevy family since the 60s, and I'm about to walk away from GM forever. Service can't find the issue, and this car has become unreliable. I've contacted GM and have opened a case number - but at this point I think I'd be better off selling the car back to them. So frustrated, and SO disappointed.

Last edited by katej4881; June 26th, 2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old November 15th, 2017, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

I've been having problems with my battery in a Traverse LT 2010. The days the car does not start, the power door locks are functional, the display illuminates when I get in the Traverse, and the radio turns on. However when I turn the ignition I get a clicking noise. This happens if I do not drive the car every 3-4 days. The battery has been replaced twice this year. The second time AAA tested the battery and it was fine.

Not sure if there is a problem with the alternator. Alternator tests come out as functional with no issues, however I have been told by foreman/mechanic with 35+ years of automobile experience (my dad) that alternator tests are not full proof. After the Traverse is jumped, the battery voltage is a little below 14 and then when I am driving the voltage charges above 14. On days that I have no problem starting the car, the display lights are dim when I first turn on the car and it takes me about 1/4 of a mile for the car's display lights to illuminate to full brightness. I do not know what this means because I would think that if the alternator was messed up the lights would be dim all the time.

I usually call AAA to help start my Traverse, but I might just get a jump box because this is extremely frustrating and happens often. Has anyone found out the possible cause of this problem?

I really hate this is happening, I am a medical student and need something reliable. If this keeps happening for the next few years I'm just going to have to get a new car all together because I cannot have this happening when I am a resident with patients depending on me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traverse - Dead Battery?