Trax Chevrolet's subcompact crossover SUV. This small SUV has a pioneer spirit, with modern technologies that make discovery easy and cargo space that molds to your lifestyle.

2017 Chevrolet Trax
Platform: Gamma II

Paint peeling on 2016 Chevy Trax

Search this Thread

Old March 16th, 2021, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no recall??

I give up on trying to upload my photo, but I have the exact problem under my back window, I have a 2016 Trax with 18k miles on it..this is unacceptable!!!
Old March 16th, 2021, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2016 Chevy trax blue

Originally Posted by Shelley Fleming Sisco
I give up on trying to upload my photo, but I have the exact problem under my back window, I have a 2016 Trax with 18k miles on it..this is unacceptable!!!
Originally Posted by Autumn Sandlin
This fall, the paint started peeling under the rear window in my 2016 Chevy Trax. No scratches or dents or dings where the paint started peeling. It just started cracking and then p

eeled off in 2 big chunks. Anyone had any problems with their paint?

The paint started peeling in December. Its obvious with it happening to so many blue trax that it is a paint defect. Chevrolet should do something about this!
Old March 16th, 2021, 6:12 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Chevrolet won't do anything. You should do something.
Old June 11th, 2021, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This fall, the paint started peeling under the rear window in my 2016 Chevy Trax. No scratches or dents or dings where the paint started peeling. It just started cracking and then p

I am having the same issue, started last year on the hatch and now starting on the hood. I have contacted Chevy customer care to get some help in fixing this issue and having my car repainted. I am currently arguing the fact that there are so many more blue Chevy tracks out there with peeling paint but they are telling me they have not received complaints. I know it’s tedious and frustrating but please contact Chevy customer care and open a case, the more calls they get they are more likely to create a recall for these issues. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
Ktchaos (June 19th, 2021)
Old June 11th, 2021, 10:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cody Altman
My wife's car is exactly the same in the back. Amd also driver side above headlight. Will post pics.
I have been speaking with Chevy customer care for a couple weeks now because I’m having the same issue, it started on my hatch a year ago and now peeling on my hood. While talking to them today I asked if there were a lot of complaints on this issue with the blue Chevy trax, I was told there were not. Please take a moment to contact Chevy customer care and open a case about your issue, if there are a bunch of complaints they are likely to issue a recall. Thank you!
Old June 19th, 2021, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2016 Blue Trax Same Problem

I am so angry that everyone is having the same problem. Same color. It's peeling in the exact same spots. Just started about a week ago with the front driver's side. I just noticed the peeling by the back window today. I don't know what to do. I first thought that someone had sliced the paint intentionally in the front. I live in Pittsburgh, doesn't usually get too hot out here. I just purchased mine used at the end of 2018. The milage just hit 32k.

Front drivers side

Back passenger side

Last edited by Ktchaos; June 19th, 2021 at 7:39 PM.
Old June 19th, 2021, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Please everyone call GM, the number is
+1 (866) 790-5600. The lady I’m working with is Samantha extension 5917775. As of now, they have agreed to reimburse me $300 after they receive a receipt from a paint job (certified GM Dealership quoted $2100 and a regular body shop quoted $1200) but I’m not ok with that. If everyone calls and complains they can issue a recall. I will not pay that when it’s obviously a manufactures defect. It’s not right and we need to force them to make this right for all of us!!

Old June 19th, 2021, 6:30 PM
CF Beginner

Also if anyone of you took your car in to the dealership or body shop, call and get any type of documentation you can that proves the dealership was aware and did nothing or you have a quote to fix it. It will make a difference, it may take a little while but it will be worth it. I did a bunch of footwork to get proof of trying to address the issue. My warranty ended 2 days prior to this happening and was 10 days later by the time the dealership got me in to look at it. We can make them do something!!
Old June 20th, 2021, 8:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Yup!

Mine is also a 2016 and both front quadrants and my under my rear window look like this. They won't do a damn thing about it! Last GM I'll EVER buy!
The following 2 users liked this post by SherryLyn:
Ktchaos (June 20th, 2021), sewnikki (June 26th, 2023)
Old June 21st, 2021, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

I called and left a voicemail. However I do not have a case number. I contacted GM and they refused to open up a case and told me to get it looked at by the dealership and that I would have to pay out of pocket for the paint to be fixed.

Quick Reply: Paint peeling on 2016 Chevy Trax