Trax Chevrolet's subcompact crossover SUV. This small SUV has a pioneer spirit, with modern technologies that make discovery easy and cargo space that molds to your lifestyle.

2017 Chevrolet Trax
Platform: Gamma II

Paint peeling on 2016 Chevy Trax

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2021, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh wow, that looks so bad. Everything is peeling off on this car. I hope that you'll be able to find a solution to this problem.
Old July 22nd, 2021, 9:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by stinetalk
Oh wow, that looks so bad. Everything is peeling off on this car. I hope that you'll be able to find a solution to this problem.
Mine was as bad as the OPs. I ended up trading in the car because dealerships are giving so much for used cars right now. I bought a new car August 2020 and when I bought it, we priced both of our cars to see which would be better to trade in. The Trax wasn't the best one to trade in at the time. However, I got it priced again last month and they gave me over a thousand more than what they were offering last year, even with the paint peeling.
I urge everybody else to see what they can get for their Trax with how much used cars are selling for. It might be better to sell it and part ways than try to get Chevy to fix it.
Old October 25th, 2021, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue - Brilliant Bule peeling

I have the same peeling issue! Of course I got the response from the dealer, I'm out of warranty. A call to GM hasn't been successful either. Customer service did open a case, but says there's not a paint issue!! After a quote from the dealer, GM is offering me 10% to assist with the costs to repaint. It seems we need to complaint louder for GM to hear their customers.

Last edited by ym2751max; October 25th, 2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old October 25th, 2021, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default Apply pressure to GM

Here's some good advice to follow if you want to try and apply pressure to GM on your peeling paint
https://www.autosafety.org/gm/

Recalls / ownership of poor paint jobs only happen if you push hard!!
Old October 31st, 2021, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

My daughter has a 2016 Trax - blue. The paint is doing the same thing and in the same spots. She bought the car used from a dealer 10 months ago and the car was in perfect condition. Within 2 months the paint started peeling and the dealer refused to do anything about it. Same thing - I called Chevy and they said they have never heard of this happening and said that maybe the car had been a previous wreck and suggested that I look into it and call the company that painted it. I did check into it - there has not been a wreck.

Last edited by wwheeler22; October 31st, 2021 at 3:49 PM.
Old November 16th, 2021, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just noticed this today. Sent email to GM and have a message in to my dealership. My Trax is a 2015 with less than 40,000.
Old November 26th, 2021, 1:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by afornof
I am having the same issue, started last year on the hatch and now starting on the hood. I have contacted Chevy customer care to get some help in fixing this issue and having my car repainted. I am currently arguing the fact that there are so many more blue Chevy tracks out there with peeling paint but they are telling me they have not received complaints. I know it’s tedious and frustrating but please contact Chevy customer care and open a case, the more calls they get they are more likely to create a recall for these issues. Thank you!
Contacted customer care last week. Went to local dealership today and they started the “paper trail.” Service rep was super nice, said he hasn’t seen that yet but feels it is definitely a defective paint issue…said GM could extend the warranty if they agree. GM customer care has also kept in touch with me to make sure I kept my appt with dealership. Keep up the calls and keep pushing them to fix this and hopefully we will all get an acceptable resolution. I love my car and especially the blue color!
The following users liked this post:
mmcgo1 (October 25th, 2022)
Old December 14th, 2021, 4:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default Adding mine to the pile!

Hi all, new here. So glad to see all your posts, because now I know I'm not crazy. My 2016 Trax started peeling last Saturday (12/11), and I was trying to wrap my brain around how a 5 year old car would suddenly start peeling.

Looks like I'll be calling Chevy myself. Wish me luck!

Driver side hood
Old January 14th, 2022, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update 1/14/22 - dealership and GM refuse to pay to paint my car

Originally Posted by jchristian95
Contacted customer care last week. Went to local dealership today and they started the “paper trail.” Service rep was super nice, said he hasn’t seen that yet but feels it is definitely a defective paint issue…said GM could extend the warranty if they agree. GM customer care has also kept in touch with me to make sure I kept my appt with dealership. Keep up the calls and keep pushing them to fix this and hopefully we will all get an acceptable resolution. I love my car and especially the blue color!
Here's the email I got last night from GM (dealership called and confirmed it today):

Hello, Jessica. We recently spoke with the dealerships Service Manager and he informed us that after submission of your paint concerns to our warranty team, we are unable to offer any coverage for repainting. We recognize this is not the outcome you may have anticipated and would like to apologize for any dissatisfaction this causes. Rest assured, all parties involved diligently explored all avenues of cost assistance on your behalf before this resolution was reached. Peter Gomez let us know that he'd connect with you as well to provide more detail into this determination. Should you wish to proceed with service at this time, please know it will involve out-of-pocket expenses but our team would gladly assist in setting up an appointment. We will keep an eye out for your response.

>
> Troy T.
>
> GM Customer Care

New picture from today:

Just shared on Facebook about my experience: <iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fjes sica.j.christian%2Fposts%2F10226902656969694&show_ text=true&width=500" width="500" height="731" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>
Old January 23rd, 2022, 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

Default Ours is peeling as well!

Our 2016 Chevy Trax has peeling paint as well. It has less than 50,000 miles on it. We contacted GM. Got sent from person to person. Went to the dealership and back to GM. They offered us nothing. This is absolutely ridiculous! If someone starts or finds a class action lawsuit please include us.

Quick Reply: Paint peeling on 2016 Chevy Trax