Trax Chevrolet's subcompact crossover SUV. This small SUV has a pioneer spirit, with modern technologies that make discovery easy and cargo space that molds to your lifestyle.

2017 Chevrolet Trax
Platform: Gamma II

Replacing Turbocharger

Search this Thread

Old February 25th, 2019, 11:48 AM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Turbocharger

Hello,

I am replacing the Turbocharger on my 2015 Chevy Trax 1.4L.
The vehicle kept having loss of power about 2 weeks ago and it has only been getting worse. A few days ago alot of smoke coming out of the exhaust and I could not get about 20 mpg due to loss of power. When I removed the air inlet hose going into the intake manifold there was oil in there. So I removed the intercooler and it was full of oil to the point when I removed the air hoses oil started pouring out.
The only way I could think of that much oil getting into the intercooler was through the turbocharger. I had replaced the oil about 6k miles ago, when I replaced the oil last week it was empty of oil.
I am currently replacing the Turbocharger, intercooler, oil intake and drain lines, coolant lines going to and from the turbocharger, replacing all the seals, spark plugs boost senor, oil filter and air filter. Cleaning the air hoses, catalytic converter (since I had to take it off to remove the turbo) and O2 sensor before the catalytic converter.

My question is since oil was pushed passed the intercooler and into the intake manifold should I take apart the manifold as well and clean it as well or is there any sensors back there I should replace? Or will that oil get pushed into the engine and burn off with no issue.

Also any advice with any of this would be helpful.

Thank You,
Old November 27th, 2021, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kingsbury2015
Hello,

I am replacing the Turbocharger on my 2015 Chevy Trax 1.4L.
The vehicle kept having loss of power about 2 weeks ago and it has only been getting worse. A few days ago alot of smoke coming out of the exhaust and I could not get about 20 mpg due to loss of power. When I removed the air inlet hose going into the intake manifold there was oil in there. So I removed the intercooler and it was full of oil to the point when I removed the air hoses oil started pouring out.
The only way I could think of that much oil getting into the intercooler was through the turbocharger. I had replaced the oil about 6k miles ago, when I replaced the oil last week it was empty of oil.
I am currently replacing the Turbocharger, intercooler, oil intake and drain lines, coolant lines going to and from the turbocharger, replacing all the seals, spark plugs boost senor, oil filter and air filter. Cleaning the air hoses, catalytic converter (since I had to take it off to remove the turbo) and O2 sensor before the catalytic converter.

My question is since oil was pushed passed the intercooler and into the intake manifold should I take apart the manifold as well and clean it as well or is there any sensors back there I should replace? Or will that oil get pushed into the engine and burn off with no issue.

Also any advice with any of this would be helpful.

Thank You,
sorry to bring up such an old thread. Did you get any answers on this or solutions? Im in the same boat with a 16 trax which I suspect the turbo has gone bad. Oil throughout the entire intake and intercooler…. My loss of power looks like

any response with your experience would be great as I’m not sure where to start with this mess