Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Uplander (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/uplander-31/)
-   -   2006 Uplander AC compressor starts up with a grind (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/uplander-31/2006-uplander-ac-compressor-starts-up-grind-92225/)

Guest September 16th, 2018 10:31 AM

2006 Uplander AC compressor starts up with a grind

Can someone tell me what is wrong?
I made a YouTube video of the noise.

oilcanhenry September 16th, 2018 3:21 PM

Sounds like you'll need a new AC compressor. If the AC is off and it doesn't make noise that rules out a tensioner bearing going south.

12three September 17th, 2018 11:03 PM

i didnt hear it, but if mine made noises i wasnt accustomed to hearing i would give it an ounce or less of pag oil and hope for the best

oilcanhenry September 18th, 2018 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by 12three (Post 362950)
i didnt hear it, but if mine made noises i wasnt accustomed to hearing i would give it an ounce or less of pag oil and hope for the best

Looks to me like the OP started the engine up with the A/C in the "on" position. If so that's not a valid way for us to Dx his issue. It's probably the compressor, but still could
be the pulley/tensioner bearings. Still, no word on A/C pressures isn't helping figure this issue out. Removing the SPT-belt and spinning the pulley would be helpful too.

Guest September 18th, 2018 6:00 AM

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry (Post 362955)
Looks to me like the OP started the engine up with the A/C in the "on" position. If so that's not a valid way for us to Dx his issue. It's probably the compressor, but still could
be the pulley/tensioner bearings. Still, no word on A/C pressures isn't helping figure this issue out. Removing the SPT-belt and spinning the pulley would be helpful too.

no I actually started the engine up with ac off. But the moment I turn the ac on you can hear a bang, it’s not super loud and it goes away immediately. It’s probably the compressor since it’s original which is 12 years old now and belt is also original.

12three September 18th, 2018 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Guest (Post 362964)

no I actually started the engine up with ac off. But the moment I turn the ac on you can hear a bang, it’s not super loud and it goes away immediately. It’s probably the compressor since it’s original which is 12 years old now and belt is also original.

ok i heard something at that moment. not sure what it was.. maybe if you leave your mic by the compressor it would be clearer, but the cheap advice is probably the same: check that high and low pressures are normal, rule out the belt/pulley... add no more than an oz of correct weight pag oil and pray

oilcanhenry September 18th, 2018 3:20 PM

Originally Posted by Guest (Post 362964)

Yeah, that's what I am thinking too. A/C compressors can last along time. Depends on use mostly.