Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Rear door won't unlock on 2006

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2011, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear door won't unlock on 2006

Greetings all,
I have a 2006 cargo uplander, I can't get the rear door to unlock. When I use either the key control or the button on the drivers door--all the other doors unlock but the rear cargo door will not. I realize it maybe a wiring/connector issue but my main question now is: how do I get it open to get to the connectors to clean them?
This is a work van and I need to be able to get things in and out of the back. Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.
Old March 31st, 2011, 5:56 AM
leo
CF Beginner

Good question to problem solve. I am assuming by rear door your meaning the rear hatch. I would check to see if there was a fuse that feeds that electric door lock, but most likely it on the same fuse as the others. If you had a wire harness diagram you could see where the feed runs and maybe manually bypass it and try jumping it with a seperate 12 volt power source. ( I sometimes use the battery charge on low amp setting to see if I am getting power to motor). Another opition is call a dealer and ask if there some sort manual way to pop the door open. Most likely I am thinking your going to some how have to remove the trim cover off the door to be able to get to the lock motor. Not going to be easy with having the door closed. One opition here if don't care about the looks is if you know where the lock is located is take large enough hole and drill thru the trim. Remember there metal behind some areas, so you have to drill where there is a open space behind the trim panel being of any wires behind it. If you get a hole drilled near the lock you reach in and manually unlock it Like I said check with a dealer first or a tow service that goes around and unlocks cars for people that left thier keys in them to see if there's a way to pop the door open manually. Let us know how it works out
Old April 7th, 2011, 12:51 PM
leo
CF Beginner

Lonemopper did you ever get the rear door open? How did you do it? Just curious on how you problem solved it
Old April 8th, 2011, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

I checked both fuse boxes, under the hood and under the dash, no blown fuses.

I tested the wiring from the lock backwards to the fuse box, no problems or breaks

Finally I drilled a hole in the back panel above the lock but couldn't see or access the actual lock because of the configuration of the hatch/lock/angle of the back door.

So, in a fit of frustration, I took my dremel and cut out a 5" x 5" square of the back panel, ripped out the entire plastic auto locking harness, used a screwdriver to unlock the lock.

I can now load and unload through the back hatch, I just can't lock it anymore.

This vehicle has been such a disappointment and money pit I no-longer care.
Old December 6th, 2014, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Lightbulb Plastic Parts in Locking Mechanism Need Lubricated

The tailgate on my 2008 Chevy Uplander refused to open. The unlock fuse was fine. The handle pull worked fine. I could even hear the little motor that unlocks the tailgate whirr when I pushed the unlock button. But the gate would not release. Turns out the problem was the lock mechanism was jammed because it had dirt in it and not enough grease. From the inside, I pulled the lift gate panel out at the window so I could look down and see the lock mechanism at the bottom of the lift gate. I reached down and prodded it with my screwdriver until I noticed that parts of the mechanism weren't sliding back and forth like they should. I sprayed it with a silicone lubricant until the parts started working again. Finally, the lock unlatched and I could open the rear hatch. I could then remove the entire plastic panel and remove the lock mechanism. I found that the mechanism has lots of rubber and plastic parts which get chewed up and start to jam if not properly lubricated. I cleaned out the dirt with my silicone spray and thoroughly lubricated all the moving parts. The latch now lets go of the post very easily, and the lift gate no longer gets stuck.
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:13 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great post. Very helpful !
Old December 7th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

isn't there a round plastic plug in the inner trim panel? Most rear hatches have this as an access hole so you can manually release the latch.
Old December 10th, 2014, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
isn't there a round plastic plug in the inner trim panel? Most rear hatches have this as an access hole so you can manually release the latch.
No such luck on the Chevy Uplander. The rear panel does not have any mechanical access port. In addition, there is no manual way to lock or unlock the mechanism. You must rely on the electric motor to disengage the lock. The only way to release the latch is to pull on the exterior handle or reach down into the guts of the door and push on the mechanism itself. And when the rubber and plastic parts get munched and start to stick, pulling on the exterior handle won't cause the latch to release.
Old March 25th, 2018, 12:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rear hatch door will NOT LOCK

I have the opposite problem as all doors will lock except rear hatch. My key fob locks the doors but the "unlock" button in inoperative. I'll check the fuses and try to lubricate the mechanism from inside but advice appreciated.