Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

2008 Chevy Uplander/service stability system

Old May 11th, 2016, 5:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Chevy Uplander/service stability system

Someone please help me. I have taken my chevy uplander to Chevrolet twice, once paying $528 for a yaw rate sensor, then $370 for some type of brake module something. All I know is while I am driving the car will start breaking all on it's on. Then the service stability light will come on. What the heck. This is dangerous and Chevrolet seems unable to fix it. What are my options? Like can I get my $ back since the car was never fixed. Or at least can someone provide some insight so that I may share it with the good Lynch Chevrolet in Auburn, AL.

Thanks,
Nette
Old May 11th, 2016, 9:01 PM
CF Active Member

The wheel speed sensors in these appear to be crap, and they are built into the bearing assembly so it is a bit of a job to replace them. There are also people who have found broken wires between the sensors and the module.

The first place to start though is to get the codes read, but I believe that has to be done when it happens because once you take the key out the system resets on the next startup. What could also be helpful is if you use a scanner that will read live data from the wheel speed sensors so you can actually see what happens when it happens.

On our '05 Venture we hit the button to turn off the traction before we back out of the driveway otherwise the dashboard lights up before we change gears, but interestingly when we are parked somewhere flat with nothing in front of us if we put it in drive and get over 25MPH it behaves properly. When the problem started I hooked up a scanner looking for a code and it didn't happen for a few trips and finally...right front wheel speed sensor which was actually replaced a year and a half earlier when I got new tires.

As for getting your money back...you'll be lucky if you can get them to fix it without paying more but to actually get a refund $$$, I seriously doubt it.
Old May 12th, 2016, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for taking the time to respond and share your experiences with your Chevrolet. 😊
Old May 12th, 2016, 11:37 PM
CF Active Member

Wow my post was long...sorry about that, I must have been pretty tired from the look of all that babbling.

The short of it is drive around with a good scanner attached to see what happens is the best option if you have access to one. Otherwise get under it and check the wires and connectors going to all the hubs, but if that's all good you have to do option #1.

- OR - just disable it every time you get in the vehicle and drive it like it was built in 1980 when there was no traction control, and hopefully yours won't flash any other lights. When you turn off the traction control the ABS remains active, but when the lights start flashing the traction and ABS get disabled (at least in the Venture).

Last edited by U.Nanimous; May 12th, 2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old May 25th, 2016, 5:43 AM
j m
CF Beginner

Hello, I have a problem you might be able to help me with. I have an 08 uplanderand the serpentine belt caught the wires for the crankshaft position sensor. I would greatly apreciate it if you could take a peek at yours and just let me know which bundle of wires i should be searching in to find the wire ends i need tk patch back onto. Thank you in advance
Old March 20th, 2017, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Similar issue

I'm either going to have to give this van away or die driving it. Which really makes me seriously angry because I've taken very good care of it. I get both the 'service stability system' and 'service abs' lights come on. But before they come on one or both systems ENGAGE or completely fails!!! Truly terrify. It's been at the shop since November. It's March for crying out loud! And he can't figure it out. It turned on that horrid traction control mess while I was going 60 on the freeway on a sunny dry day. Another day I had no brakes for a moment trying to stop at a light. Had to go around the car in front of me. I'm going to die driving this vehicle. And it had problems with the stability track sys when it was still under warranty in 2009. How can this be fixed? I'd rather not just throw away a vehicle, but I'd rather not DIE either. The mechaic thinks it's wiring and would cost more to replace the wiring than its worth. I'm desperate. Btw, I had to put THREE sets of brakes on in one year. Yet I only put about 11000 miles on the van in that time. I hate this van.

Last edited by Crislee M. (crisleem); March 20th, 2017 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Add more
Old March 20th, 2017, 12:32 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by U.Nanimous
Wow my post was long...sorry about that, I must have been pretty tired from the look of all that babbling.

The short of it is drive around with a good scanner attached to see what happens is the best option if you have access to one. Otherwise get under it and check the wires and connectors going to all the hubs, but if that's all good you have to do option #1.

- OR - just disable it every time you get in the vehicle and drive it like it was built in 1980 when there was no traction control, and hopefully yours won't flash any other lights. When you turn off the traction control the ABS remains active, but when the lights start flashing the traction and ABS get disabled (at least in the Venture).
I have to turn off my traction control before I leave my driveway. Otherwise it will engage itself at 60 mph. I fear it will launch me off the freeway. And I panic if I forget to push the stupid button. I just want it fixed so I can sell it without feeling I'm killing anyone.
Old March 27th, 2020, 3:24 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

would a junk front brake caliper pin on one side maybe cause the 'service stability system' message?
i remember one caliper pin was hanging up just a little bit, i was too busy to fix it, forgot all about it til now...
im thinking it may be corroded more now... and not releasing the pad quite as easily....
only real symptom im aware of is the intermittent message itself...
is that how the system works? basically one wheel is slower than the other (likely due to sticky brake in my case) so it throws the light when it notices the speed or rpm difference??
Old March 27th, 2020, 3:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 551 Posts

the only time one wheel is slower than the other, is when you're turning.
Old March 27th, 2020, 3:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
the only time one wheel is slower than the other, is when you're turning.
even if the brakes are not applying equal pressure to the corresponding rotors?
ie press the brake pedal. left caliper is in spec and the pads disengage the rotor quickly... but the right caliper takes more force than normal bc of corrosion on the caliper pin... that would slow the right wheel down but not the left wheel
im just not sure if it would throw the 'stability' message...
it started giving me some odd braking behavior yesterday when it popped the message... i forgot all about the pins being a bit slow/stuck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2008 Chevy Uplander/service stability system