Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

DVD Plays Silently

Old November 29th, 2010, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DVD Plays Silently

We bought a used '06 with 16,000 miles on it in September (it basically sat in a retiree's garage until her husband died - the headphones had never even been unwrapped). I have four boys in the back that are anxious to watch movies.

The DVD player plays video beautifully and the two sets of headphones work great, but I can't get audio out of the speakers. Press the CD/AUX button and nothing happens. I can see in the display that there is an icon in the stereo display that should light up when the head detects a disc in the DVD player, but it never lights. When I press the fan and thermostat buttons on the ceiling unit, the ceiling display reads, "disabled." It looks like the ceiling unit and dash unit are not communicating. Any ideas? Is something disconnected? Is there a factory setting that needs to be reset? Is there an activation code that needs to be entered?

Help!
Old November 30th, 2010, 8:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Suggestion: Ensure that there are fresh batteries in the head sets. Start the DVD player and ensure that there is a picture playing. Turn on the headset [red power button on the headset]. There is another switch on the headset [A,B or 1,2] that allows to change to two different frequencies. Change the settings on this switch while the player is operating and you should hear the audio for the movie. Ensure the volume is turned up [not too loud] on the headphone to ensure the sound is working.

Please take the time to read my post to the function/operation of the dvd player earlier in this forum. Look down this page to "06 Uplander RSE issues." I have some further detailed comments about operating the dvd player, especially when children are involved. The player is a wonderful baby sitter, but it must be treated with care if you expect to get some longevity from it.

Hope this helps... advise if you have further problems.

Sounds like you tripped across a pretty good buy with acquiring a 06 with low mileage.

Please let us know if you resolve your issue.
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:23 PM
CF Junior Member

To KetcherFamily; Did you ever resolve your problem?
Old December 29th, 2010, 3:38 PM
CF Beginner

No, but thanks for asking. The RSE headphone sets work just fine and all our DVDs play back without problems. My problem has to do with getting DVD audio out through the main speakers. It's just not happening. The head unit doesn't even recognize that a disc has been inserted. Tried everything. Is there an enable/disable code that has to be entered?
The van is pretty stripped down - none of the personalization features described in the manual are available and it doesn't have a cassette or multi-disc changer. Maybe we got a head unit that wasn't designed to work with a ceiling unit.
Old January 1st, 2011, 10:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by the "head unit?" Are you referring to the "head unit" as being the radio/cd player mounted in the front dash? And of course, the DVD player is roof mounted in overhead rack and the DVD player has a display with control/buttons?

I have an '05 Uplander LT with DVD player and everything works perfectly.

I just want to be clear on what you mean by the "head unit."

I really want to help you out with this problem.
Old January 3rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Here is what I want to do to try to help you.

I am assuming that you have an Owners Manual that came with your '06 Uplander. I have an '05 Uplander and assuming that the Owners Manuals did not change that much from 2005 to 2006, I will direct you to the pages that refer to the following aspects of your questions.

Regarding the issue of trying to get audio through the vehicle speakers while playing a CD or a DVD in the DVD/ceiling unit, the sound to vehicle speakers is controlled through use of the CD AUX button on the front radio/cd unit. Page 3-99, Vehicle Speakers, refers in detail to this aspect. You were right when trying to turn the speakers on or off with this button. Bear in mind, only one audio source at a time can be heard through the vehicle speakers AND the front radio/cd unit must be turned on to activate the vehicle speakers.

The other thing to keep straight is that the front radio/cd unit only plays CDs. It will not play a DVD. The DVD player/ceiling unit will play both DVDs and CDs. You can also listen/dial up radio stations through the ceiling unit. Audio in that case is heard through the ear phones.

Your other question about control of the temperature and fan speeds for the rear heater can be controlled from the buttons on the display for the DVD/ceiling unit.
The thumb wheel control on the front dash for the rear heater must be in the AUX position and the ignition must be in the 'run' position. Then you will see the 'little person figure' in the ceiling unit display screen. Otherwise, if these conditions are not met, 'disabled' will appear in the ceiling unit if you push either the temp or fan buttons on the unit. See Rear Climate Control, pages 3-28 and 3-29 in your Manual.

Getting back to your main question about the vehicle speakers working with the DVD/ceiling unit; turn on your engine, start the DVD player with a DVD or CD and then try turning on or off the vehicle speakers with the CD AUX button on the front radio/cd unit. When there is disc of any type in the ceiling unit, their will be the word DVD in the right upper corner of the display window of the front radio/cd unit.

I am not aware of any activation codes or the like that are required to make thinks work.

Good luck with your effort to satisfy all you passengers in your van.

Although a bit complex-ed I think it is a great system for 2004/2005 technology.
Old April 17th, 2013, 4:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default DVD plays through the headphones but not the main speakers

I have a 2008 Chevrolet Uplander as well and we are having the SAME issue. When we put a DVD in the only way to hear it is with the headphones. The other thing is that we use to be able to hear the radio via the headphones and control it through the DVD player in the ceiling but it says ERROR now. I've exhausted every measure I can on trying to figure this one out so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Old April 19th, 2013, 4:30 AM
CF Beginner

Default alpine overhead car DVD player

Make sure whether you've set up.
Firstly, please switch the power on and load the disc into the unit. On the main interface, click "DVD" icon to launch DVD, the follow interface will appear. You will control DVD player setup by touching the buttons displayed on screen or by using the remote control.
secondly, Press "SETUP" button on remote control to lauch the DVD setup. The screen will show standard setting menu. Select up/down button display on the right to set language, Audio, Vedio, Classification, etc.

After setting language, press OK and down button to enter into advanced language menu. Press up/down button on touch panel to select desired language and press "OK" button to confirm. The menu of DVD and system setting will display in the language selected.

If you need to continue setup other languages, go back to language setting interface to choose. Touch SET again to exit the DVD setting system, DVD will continue to play automatically after exit setup.

When you need to switch to other setting feature, press direction keys to access. Setting for other features (e.g.vieo, audio) is similar. Please refer to the menu language setting.

Minimize the DVD function to access other desired favourite function. DVD will continue operations when accessing Navi/Bluetooth/Notebook function. DVD player will be disabled upon accessing Radio/MP3/MP4/iPod player.

DVD GPS navigation is the car gps navigation that integrated with DVD PLAYER. DVD player is used in most of the car gps navigation system. With DVD player function, it can play DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, VCD, CD, CD-R/RW and MP3 CD while you are on the move. More information- overhead car DVD player
Old December 29th, 2018, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fail communication with dvd to radio/CD player, no speaker volume

Your instructions had no real help or answer to the question preposed to you by others here on the site. Fail communication is a fault in either plugs or units or bad wiring...sending someone to look at the owners manual is a simple cop out these problems have been issues with this van for years and no one will step up and give an answer as to how to fix it....
Tell me why at 57k miles I needed a new transmission, or why my vehical lost communication with command module at a cost of some $575 to fix only to tell me it was the paint on the engine that stopped the sensor from sending signals back not happy with Chevy Uplanders. To tell someone to check batteries in remote or headset is just beyond stupid.
I have own 3 Uplanders all of them suffer these kind of failures in time seams strange that they all have to be fixed at dealership when they have no clue how to answer questions straight up.

777;164495]Suggestion: Ensure that there are fresh batteries in the head sets. Start the DVD player and ensure that there is a picture playing. Turn on the headset [red power button on the headset]. There is another switch on the headset [A,B or 1,2] that allows to change to two different frequencies. Change the settings on this switch while the player is operating and you should hear the audio for the movie. Ensure the volume is turned up [not too loud] on the headphone to ensure the sound is working.

Please take the time to read my post to the function/operation of the dvd player earlier in this forum. Look down this page to "06 Uplander RSE issues." I have some further detailed comments about operating the dvd player, especially when children are involved. The player is a wonderful baby sitter, but it must be treated with care if you expect to get some longevity from it.

Hope this helps... advise if you have further problems.

Sounds like you tripped across a pretty good buy with acquiring a 06 with low mileage.

Please let us know if you resolve your issue.[/QUOTE]