Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body

Reduced Engine Power

Old January 19th, 2019, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reduced Engine Power

I started up, went driving along and the acceleration was really uneven... Twitchy at the get go, dead spot in the middle, and mushy top end. Then all of a sudden the van went into "reduced engine power" mode

Anyways I removed the negative battery cable and let it sit for 15 minutes. It cleared the problem and the van was driving like new again, actually felt better than ever!

So now it's three days later. The uneven acceleration is back. If I hold the gas pedal in one spot the vehicle is jumping around. Having occasional trouble starting it up. Idle is a little rough. Reduced Engine Power is back.

From researching the internet my best guess is a faulty Throttle Position Sensor... and probably a dirty throttle body. But does anyone have any other ideas before I start throwing parts at it?
Old January 23rd, 2019, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Still haven't got the TPS to try a replacement.

Today it was low on gas, like 1/8th tank. Tried starting and it was super jerky and undriveable. Filled it to a half tank and it was driving good again.

Maybe it's a bad fuel pump?

I was hoping to try the TPS first but I can't wait any longer, if this thing breaks down I can't get to work. Probably going to take it to the shop tomorrow.
Old January 26th, 2019, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

OK for anyone lurking or for future reference I managed to fix it. I took it to the shop and the mechanic read the codes, Bad throttle body. They wanted me to buy a whole new throttle body, guessing like $300 cad installed. Anyways I said no thanks and bought a $10 can of throttle body cleaner. 30 minutes later the van was running like new again. Guess the grime build up was causing the butterfly to stick.
Old February 19th, 2019, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hey bud

Originally Posted by SkookumB
I started up, went driving along and the acceleration was really uneven... Twitchy at the get go, dead spot in the middle, and mushy top end. Then all of a sudden the van went into "reduced engine power" mode

Anyways I removed the negative battery cable and let it sit for 15 minutes. It cleared the problem and the van was driving like new again, actually felt better than ever!

So now it's three days later. The uneven acceleration is back. If I hold the gas pedal in one spot the vehicle is jumping around. Having occasional trouble starting it up. Idle is a little rough. Reduced Engine Power is back.

From researching the internet my best guess is a faulty Throttle Position Sensor... and probably a dirty throttle body. But does anyone have any other ideas before I start throwing parts at it?
hey under the driver seat is a type of connector that part gets corroded if can’t find it under the seat look under the van towards the back area of the driver seat unplug all of them look for water damage , I had the same problem mechanic said it was a $1500 fix 😂 more like a three dollar junk yard part , i cutted the whole part off the one in the junk yard plugs female and males

Search this Thread