Uplander 2005-2009
This sport-van offers a sporty feel and roomy interior, all in the body of a minivan.
Platform: U-Body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Stabilitrak malfunction

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2011, 9:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These all really sound like faulty wiring or electrical origins to me. I'm not a mechanic, but have been working on my own vehicles for forty years. Most of what I've read about the Stabilitrack problems on the GM products turns out to be a faulty sensor or wiring harness. For those of you under warranty, I'd take it to the dealership and demand that they check all of the wiring involved. This is a huge problem that GM tends to want to ignore and blame on the weather and other factors that should not come into play. I have my last GM product sitting in my driveway right now. I prefer to drive the 99 Grand Caravan that I have with 183,000 miles on it over the 07 Equinox.
Old July 11th, 2011, 6:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default update

after posting, a was contacted by a chevy representative. They recommended i carry my trailblazer into a dealership, for which i had to pay $95 to run the codes. Chevy representative told me the chances of Chevrolet providing assistance with my repair were fairly decent. In the shop they discovered my master cylinder was out and needed to be replaced. My total out of pocket expense came to $525. Chevrolet and the dealership claimed a bad master cylinder at 60k miles is "normal wear and tear." However, they did offer me a free oil change/road side assistance package for my troubles. I declined. I don't mind normal wear and tear, but this issue is questionable to me. The dealership claims the master cylinder going bad caused the stabilitrak system to engage. I wonder if the stabilitrak system going haywire and causing my brakes to lock could have caused my master cylinder to go bad? I guess only time will tell, but for now my vehicle is running great and i am very relieved to have it back. i would recommend anyone having this issue call Chevy Customer Service, as a report will be filed and kept on record of the issues you are having with your vehicle and, as in my case, if i am to have a repeat issue, the prior problem will already be documented.
Old July 11th, 2011, 9:04 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wetzny
Last evening while approaching a stop light the stabilitrack service message came on, followed by the service engine light. As I started to slowly accelerate to leave the intersection, the truck started to vibrate, idling roughly and the truck jerked as the transmission shifted into the higher gear. Thankfully I made it home safely and parked the truck. I started it this morning, the message is still on, the service engine light is still on and the truck idles rough.
wetzny i had a similar problem but mine happend when i parked for about a hr after a long drive when i got it checked out they told me it was the ECU which i belive it was the wireing to the ECU.
Old July 12th, 2011, 9:48 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

jlowe228,

I agree with you. If you have any issue, speak with me or Chevrolet Customer Assistance. We are happy to help! It is our job to assist you in every way possible.

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old October 19th, 2011, 12:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default stabilitrak

I started reading messages on this feature because my light comes on intermittently. An estimate to fix the problem has a cost of $1855. Looking at all the problems that are associated with this feature, I feel that the best thing I could do is have it totally disabled because I would rather give up what safety features it provides in order not to worry about a catastrophic event caused by its failure to operate properly. Has anyone had their's totally disabled?

Thanks
Old December 9th, 2011, 1:17 PM
CF Beginner

Exclamation 2008 Uplander: Dangerous stability control problem

2008 Uplander: One or both wheels on the driver side locked up, causing the vehicle to rotate counter clockwise, and head into oncoming traffic. The wheels released after a second or two, and I escaped a head on collision. Immediately after this occurred, I noticed a message stating that the stability control system needed to be checked. All the dealer could tell me was that a message had come out, stating that exposed wires could be causing some problems. Bottom line, if you have an uplander, get it in and get it checked. I very narrowly escaped a head on collision when this occurred.
Old December 10th, 2011, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

I hope you have or are going to report the details of this incident to NHTSA
Old December 11th, 2011, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Stabilitrak in 2010 Denali

I have a 2010 GMC Denali with only 19,000 miles that is having the same problem. It almost killed us last night. While stopped at a light the stabilitrak failed and the car in a possessed manor accelerated and the brakes failed pushing me forward into traffic. Once I regained some control of the vehicle, the car was hopping, the engine was making a knocking sound, and I could not go more than 25 miles per hour and steering was difficult. Two warning lights came on. 1 was as stabilatrak requires service, the other was reduced engine power. The dash also had the check engine light on. Because it was late and the issue started maybe on 5 miles from home, we tried to creep home at 25 miles per hour. I not suggest you do this, because it is like the vehicle is possessed with demands. We live in the hills, so it would almost not make it up the hills. Sometimes crawling at 5 miles per hour. Turns are particularly dangerous because it will take away your turning ability when suddenly. I see that this has happened to people at high speeds, and I would think this would be extremely dangerous. There is no warning that your vehicle is going to do this. You will just be driving along in your new vehicle and it happens. I own a 2001 Chevy Tahoe that is almost the identical vehicle, and it has been the best vehicle I ever purchased. It has 230,000 miles on it and almost all of those are extremely heavy towing and abusive miles because I use it as a work truck. It recently had a shipping container dropped on the front of it that weighed probably 10,000 pounds and that did not even kill it. It has required little to no maintenance or repair. This was the main reason that when shopping for a good family car we purchased this vehicle after having a new daughter two and a half years ago. I hope this was not a big mistake.
Old December 11th, 2011, 2:36 PM
CF Active Member

Very scarry these stories. There should be a recall before someone gets killed. On my uplander 2009 I never experienced a problem with the stabilitrack. I have close to 40,000 miles with hardly no problems at all except a steering middle shaft that was replaced because of knocking at the steering wheel while going on a bump and of course a couple of emblems on the front like all the chevy's owners.
Old December 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM
CF Active Member

Is anyone aware of any way to disable Stabilitrak without losing ABS and TC?
I know pulling the appropriate fuse will disable ST but I read at GMInsider that you'll lose your ABS also which probably isn't a good idea in a 4000+ lb minivan.

What aggravates me is that on the GM trucks and Trailblazer (and who knows what other models) you can temporarily disable ST by holding the TC button for 5 seconds. I've tried it on the Uplander and no go.

Personally, I'd love to remove ST if possible in any manner that won't cripple the vehicle...

Quick Reply: Stabilitrak malfunction