Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

99 Venture - window motor problem

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2010, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Venture - window motor problem

HI,
My drivers side window won't go up. I took the motor out and tried it - - - it goes down, but not up. I replaced the switch, same problem. I replaced the motor, again, same issue. ???

I used a voltometer and tested the two leads to the motor, tan and blue. I believe tan is up and blue is down. I get 12v on each with the switch engaged.

Thinking it must be a bad motor, I exchanged it for a 2nd time.... same issue. now I'm really befuddled. Any thoughts?

TIA,

Rodger
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 84MonteSS
HI,
My drivers side window won't go up. I took the motor out and tried it - - - it goes down, but not up. I replaced the switch, same problem. I replaced the motor, again, same issue. ???

I used a voltometer and tested the two leads to the motor, tan and blue. I believe tan is up and blue is down. I get 12v on each with the switch engaged.

Thinking it must be a bad motor, I exchanged it for a 2nd time.... same issue. now I'm really befuddled. Any thoughts?

TIA,

Rodger
I'm having the exact same issue with my driver's side window. Just bought my 3rd new switch but don't want to install it until I can find out why they keep dying.

Last one I had would stick, forcing the window all the way down. I had to grab it and manually lift it back out of the the door. It eventually stopped when the switch died. Lasted a couple days if that.

Could the problem be part of a larger electrical fault? Could be coincidence but my brand new driver's side headlamp exploded today and I've had driver's side signal faults in the past too.

Any suggestions that don't involve some Frankenstein re-wiring of my window switches would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mexi
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The window motor is reversible. When the DK BLU wire gets the battery voltage and the BRN wire gets the ground, the motor turns in the window UP direction, and vice versa. When both wires get the battery voltage, the motor obviously doesn't go anywhere. If that happens with the switch UP, the battery voltage on the BRN wire has to come from either the stuck DOWN switch contacts or stuck express down module (part of the switch on these vehicles). Thus, I think 84MonteSS probably needs a new switch.

Now, in MexiMumbles's case, I don't know what to make of it. Maybe there are voltage spikes. Measure the voltage at the Power Window circuit breaker in the fuse block with the engine running?