Venture 1997-2005
This minivan from Chevy offers a sporty look as well as all of the modern additons of the minivan market.
Platform: U-Body

Chevy Venture AC Clutch

Old August 14th, 2017, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chevy Venture AC Clutch

Can anyone confirm that you can remove and replace the a/c compressor clutch with the compressor still in place on the vehicle? Is there enough room to access it from the wheel well? Where can you buy the replacement clutch? I can only find complete compressor assemblies for my '03 Venture. My clutch is working but pulling 12+ Amps and is blowing the fuse so guessing it has overheated at some point and damaged the coil inside. I can't afford to get a shop to evac, r&r the compressor, and recharge. Will cost more than the van is worth. Local GM dealer wants $1,200 for the compressor alone but I can get one from $200 from salvage or online (likely offshore mfg). Still need to get somebody to do the work because I have no refrigeration equipment.
Old August 17th, 2017, 3:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!
.....most probably not
Chevy Venture and Pontiac Montana (1998-2005) - engines identical (3.4l)
See the video
Old September 8th, 2017, 11:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Jorgenson
Can anyone confirm that you can remove and replace the a/c compressor clutch with the compressor still in place on the vehicle? Is there enough room to access it from the wheel well? Where can you buy the replacement clutch? I can only find complete compressor assemblies for my '03 Venture. My clutch is working but pulling 12+ Amps and is blowing the fuse so guessing it has overheated at some point and damaged the coil inside. I can't afford to get a shop to evac, r&r the compressor, and recharge. Will cost more than the van is worth. Local GM dealer wants $1,200 for the compressor alone but I can get one from $200 from salvage or online (likely offshore mfg). Still need to get somebody to do the work because I have no refrigeration equipment.
Have you searched online for a clutch? I've looked, and found several in the $75-105 range but you'd probably want to be sure of the exact compressor that you have in there first. youtube has a few videos for general ac clutch replacement.

Search this Thread