Volt Get plugged into Chevrolet's electric car! The batteries will take you most anywhere and the on-board generator can take you beyond!
Named the 2011 North American Car of the Year

Chevrolet Volt
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: ClipperCreek

Volt, The great fuel economy hoax!

Old January 6th, 2017, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volt, The great fuel economy hoax!

For anyone looking to buy a Volt for it's great economy. RUN AWAY it's all a hoax if you live in a colder climate. I bought my 2014 Volt on Halloween this year and it is stored inside a heated garage. When I first got it a full charge would show 38 miles for electric only and a full tank of gas would show a range of 340 miles. After a few weeks the electric full charge kept dropping every couple of days and now is to the point a full charge is only good for 23 miles (shouldn't it still be 38 until I back it out of the heated garage where it then senses that it is cold and not warm and then adjust down?). To make matters worse I don't actually get the 23 miles because it's been about 35 - 40 degrees F outside. And it gets worse, I went from an all gas engine usage range of 340 miles to now where a full tank range is only worth 160 miles! That's right folks.........17 MPG. My Cadillac with a V8 in the city gets better MPG than my Volt. Think that's as bad as it gets? Wrong, the more I drive it, the lower the gas mileage goes. By the time we hit late January and get down to 0 F or even into the negative temperatures I should need a gas tanker following me just to get back and forth to work. 2 dealers have told me that if there are no warning lights on then the car is running fine and it is what it is. If I wanted to have this kind of MPG I would have held on to my 1974 Cadillac with the 472 big block. If this nightmare isn't enough I also have to deal with the smell of burning rubber every time the engine is used, the lane departure system turns itself on and off at highway speeds when it rains out, the park assist system will sometimes shut down when going forward from a stop or parking, and the infotainment system will lock up at various time with no way to change anything (lovely going down the road and having the rear camera showing you everywhere you have been) I brought it to the dealer once for this already and was told they found nothing wrong and didn't smell anything burning. What a surprise, but I bet they will find everything that's wrong once my warranty is up.
Old January 6th, 2017, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the surprises don't end there...wait until trade in time.
Old January 8th, 2017, 2:44 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*actually mileage may vary lol
Old May 21st, 2017, 8:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contact GM corporate customer service .

God bless
wyr
Old February 23rd, 2018, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner