Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

1997 Chevy C2500 Intermittent starting problem

Search this Thread

Old March 2nd, 2017, 4:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Chevy C2500 Intermittent starting problem

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here but i figured I would give a forum a try to see if anyone else has ever encountered this problem.

My C2500 had a bad starter, you sometimes had to hit the darn thing with a rubber mallet to get it to work,
I replaced the starter with a re-manufactured Best test one and now i'm still having intermittent issues.

For example you get in and try to start it and it acts as if it does not have enough power to turn over, like it bogs down wrrr wrrrr wrrr then sometimes
it starts, other times it bogs down and will not start the starter motor just stops and i can hear a somewhat high pitched whine coming from it,
last night it did the same thing but this time it actually melted some of the shrouding around the smaller wire that goes to the small post on
the solenoid.

I removed the starter and looked at the wires and none ore broken or melted threw and there are no exposed wires anywhere, I'm
sorta at a loss here, my gut is saying that maybe the new starters solenoid is faulty but i'm not 100% sure.

If anyone has any ideas about this weird issue, I would sure appreciate it.

QuickyTime
Old March 2nd, 2017, 4:35 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Replace the starter.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Replace the starter.
Yeah I mean i guess that's pretty much the only course of action at the moment, but what are the dam odds of a pretty much brand new starter failing...

Thanks for the reply man.
Old March 2nd, 2017, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

It seems to be fixed now, we took the starter to get it tested and when he hooked it up, dropped the lid and hit start the dam thing shot sparks everywhere, he then gave us a new one free of charge(thank you warranty)no questions asked further lol

Only real issue i see now is that the smaller wire to to the solenoid is pretty much against the heatshield and the exhaust and will not fit any other way...
Old March 2nd, 2017, 10:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Not unusual for re-manufactured parts to fail; seem especially so with starters & alternators