Notices
1988 - 1998 (GMT400) Section for all discussion related to the 1987-1998 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Starts when it feels like it.

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2017, 9:19 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starts when it feels like it.

Hello everyone. I'm brand new to this site and to be honest I don't spend a lot of time on the computer but I thought I'd give this a try. I recently bought a 98 z71 5.7L 4x4 and I'm having some issues starting it. I thought for sure it was the fuel as once I got it started it would run and start fine for the rest of the day (as it still does....it's just harder to get it to start the first time now). I replaced the fuel filter and the gas pressure regulator and it didn't fix the problem. I live in Canada and one thing I've noticed is that it's harder (somedays impossible ) to start it when it's cold but once it warms up to above zero it starts no problem. Does anyone know whats going on? Maybe this has happened to someone in this forum? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance

Andrew
Old February 18th, 2017, 11:59 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Turn on your key to the run position and wait 10 to 15 seconds and let the fuel pump prime the system. Then try and start it. If it starts you have a bad check valve in the fuel pump assembly. You can replace the fuel pump assembly or add an inline check valve in the fuel line near the tank.
Old February 18th, 2017, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Turn on your key to the run position and wait 10 to 15 seconds and let the fuel pump prime the system. Then try and start it. If it starts you have a bad check valve in the fuel pump assembly. You can replace the fuel pump assembly or add an inline check valve in the fuel line near the tank.
Thanks for the feedback but I actually have tried that and it still refuses to start....unless it's warmer out.
Old February 18th, 2017, 6:11 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Hants
Thanks for the feedback but I actually have tried that and it still refuses to start....unless it's warmer out.
There's your key. I'd suggest an fuel additive to help with this, such as heet.
Old February 19th, 2017, 6:13 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
There's your key. I'd suggest an fuel additive to help with this, such as heet.
Ok. Thank you. I'll give that a try. I've never heard of heet. Ill check and see if we can get that stuff up here in Canada. Thanks again.
Old April 28th, 2020, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner