Notices
1999 - 2006 (GMT800) Section for all discussion related to the 1999-2006 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Review of the 2000 model, 4x4, 3-door Silverado, with 5.3 Vortex engine?

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2016, 8:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Review of the 2000 model, 4x4, 3-door Silverado, with 5.3 Vortex engine?

Hi everyone, I need some help here please! I'm interested in purchasing a 2000 model, 4x4, auto. trans., 3-door Silverado, with the 5.3 Vortex engine, so I'd like to get some more information about this year/model before doing so?
I know from past experience with vehicles, that some years are better than others. So, can you please help me and share some of your knowledge about this particular truck?

The one I'm looking at is a one owner truck with a good service history and 208,000 miles on it.

How long will these engines (5.3 Vortex) last?
How long will the automatic transmission last?
Anything in particular that is a notorious problems with this year?

Thanks so much for all your time and help!
Old December 4th, 2016, 9:20 AM
CF Senior Member

A 3-door? Never heard that term used for a pickup truck before. Maybe your suicide door only opens on one side; I don't know. My 2004 has them on BOTH sides, so I guess it is a four-door.

The 5.3L V8 is part of the Vortec engine family. It's an improved version of the tried-and-true 'Small Block' line of Chevy engines. The 5.3L essentially replaced the old 5.7 (350) and has the coil-on-plug ignition system. My 2004 has 140,000 miles now and a friend of mine owns a 2002 with 260,000 miles. With proper maintenance, it is not unreasonable to get 350,000 miles out of them. Rebuilt blocks and crate engines of similar displacement are plentiful as well. GM has been making various versions for over sixty years now!

The transmission is often described as the weak link - and probably won't outlast the engine. That being said, you can find them in scrap yards and plenty of shops can rebuild them if need be. The 4L60E is most likely what your truck has if it's a half-ton. As with the engine, proper maintenance is the key and it goes without saying that towing heavy loads frequently will hasten the death of your gearbox.

My Silverado is a 2wd model, so I don't know much about the 4x4 systems........but rest assured that you are likely going to have to closely inspect the drive shafts and transfer case. My friend with the '02 had to drop about $1500 on it recently for some 4x4 problems. His truck is also a Z71.

Depending upon where you live, closely examine it for body & frame rust. Check the undercarriage very carefully. Know that the truck is 17 years old, so you are likely to notice at least some corrosion - especially if you live in the rust belt or the truck was used off road frequently.

Good luck with it!!!!
Old December 8th, 2016, 1:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1999 Silverado 1500 4X4 Z71 with about 300,000 miles on it. I have owned it since it had 50,000 miles. Like everything it all depends on how it has been treated. You state is was a one owner with good service records. I wouldn't be afraid of the 200,000 + miles on it, the 5.3L is almost bullet proof but again it depends on how it has been used in the past. I have heard of 400,000 to 500,000 miles on these motors. Of course the drivetrain (transmission and transfer case) condition will depend on how well it has been maintained. Was it used for heavy towing? Do the service records show fluid changes or rebuilds on the drivetrain. JK23112 is correct the engine will probably last longer than the drivetrain. But millions of these were made so rebuilds or used are readily available. There are issues with cracked heads on the 4.8L and 5.3L but those started in 2001 so that should not affect you assuming it has the original engine in it. See TSB #06-06-01-019B:Information on Gradual Coolant LossOver Time withNo Evidence of Leak Found. Instrument clusters have soldering issues that cause loss of certain indications but the clusters can be repaired for a reasonable cost or you can buy refurbished ones. In later years GM put AFM on the 5.3L engines and had problems with it but this truck is before that time. You are coming up on 17 years on that truck so it will need various repairs as time goes by. It all depends on what you are going to use if for and how much you pay for it. My experience is they are a great truck.

Old December 17th, 2016, 9:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Hey guys, sorry for the delayed response, thanks for the feedback!

I decided to buy the truck, but I don't have it yet. I'm in NC and it's in central FL, so I'm hoping to have some free time to go pick it up over the holidays.
The original owner has been so nice and helpful, and has taken really good care of the truck. He's serviced regularly, and when something needed attention, he had the job done (he has a good friend that is a professional mechanic). Beyond the regular serrvice/maintenance (brakes, oil, filters, transmission, plugs, etc.) he's replaced the transfer case, alternator, and water pump, fuel gauge/pump, radiator. He's only towed a small jon boat once or twice, barely hauled anything, and barely used the 4 wheel drive. It's never seen the beach, sand, mud, or salty roads, so there's barely any rust! Again, it's a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500, extended cab, 4x4, automatic trans., 5.3 Vortex engine with 208,000 miles on it. I'm so excited about my soon to be new/old truck! I don't plan to use it as a "work truck", but I do plan on using it as my daily driver. I live in the mountains and will need the 4x4, and also plan to haul a few things here and there, and hopefully take it to beach to go fishing, etc. etc.

It has a bed cover on it that I don't particular want, so I am hoping to sell that and get a camper shell with racks for my kayaks. I hope to keep this truck for a long time! Oh yeah, I got it for $5,200! I think that's a pretty good deal, all things considered.

Thanks again for all the information and help!
Old December 20th, 2016, 6:08 PM
CF Senior Member

FWIW, the engine is a VORTEC (not Vortex) - having to do with the cylinder heads that Chevy/GM used. You should get a few more good years out of it. They do run almost forever if you take care of them. Chevy has made the "small block" for more than sixty years now, so it must be a great platform to use.