Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2016, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Trudat

First was at 110,216 and currently at 125,000 miles. Supposedly, according to the invoice, all new lifters (16) were installed along with a new camshaft.
Old May 5th, 2016, 8:42 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Foley
First # 6 lifter failed, now another has failed after the $5000+ repairs. So, I am going to disable the AFM, have all lifters, rockers, cam, etc. replaced with after market quality parts. GM should be sued for their knowledge of this defect and for not responding to the $millions we have spent on their junk.

I have been a GM person since I began driving in the '60s. Owned:
1 Z28
2 Corvettes
2 GMC S15
2 GMC AWD Safari
2 Cadilac Eldorado ETC
1 Buick Riviera
1 Buick LaSabre
...but my last GM will be the Tahoe.

Add it up GM; your sleeze will cost you future sales. I have hundreds of friends and the internet is instant and global.
Welcome to the forum...
Unfortunately it seems that those of us that notice are in a minority...

GM Posts the Industry’s Largest Retail Sales Increase on Double-digit Gains in Pickup and Crossover Sales

GM’s Retail Sales Rise for 12th Consecutive Month Driven by Chevrolet, Buick and GMC

They might want to use some of that cash to have someone proof there web page publications....
Attached Thumbnails 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$-haha.jpg  
Old May 6th, 2016, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Hey GM owners. I am coming close to deciding the path that I am going to take concerning my truck. I'm leaning close to selling this truck and never buying GM again. Hopefully, there can be some in this forum that can change my mind. Question: How many people on this forum have had multiple visits to the dealership for repairs? What I mean is after the truck was repaired (cams and lifters), how long did it take for the problem to show up again? So far, on this forum I have read two. Dates and mileage would be helpful.
Old May 6th, 2016, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

For all of those that have been affected by this continuing AFM debacle that GM doesn't seem to want to address or admit:
I have contacted a law firm, (Mogan&Morgan) that specializes in class action lawsuits regarding the issue.
Class Action Lawsuits | Current Cases | Morgan & Morgan
I have never sued anyone or entity before, but this one I will not let slide.
We all work too hard for our money.
I encourage everyone to contact this firm.
They are presently in the discovery phase.
We bailed them out and this is how they thank us.
Old May 6th, 2016, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for that link. I hope everyone gets onboard. I wouldn't wish this problem on my worst enemy. I have been thinking this over for awhile now. If I trade this truck in, I'll be forwarding this problem to someone else. Someone else is going to get the problem in the future. If I sell this truck, it is like I transferring a known problem to the purchaser. The issue I have in both situations is that the person who buys this truck will be stuck with a loan and future catastrophic failure. Morally, it is not right. One is supposed to pay forward something good, not pass on a future financial trap.
Old June 15th, 2016, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Had to google and find this forum as my 2008 Chev Suburban 1500 5.3 has joined the unfortunate club of terminally ill. It has about 140K miles on the clock and has always chewed a lot of oil which i believe was a design fault with the cylinder de activation. But know the local garage tells me the lifters are shot and option is either a $3K reco engine with no warranty available or new engine for $7k. With the condition of the car either option is not viable so I guess it's good bye Suburban and want be buying another.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Another 5.3L AFM DOWN !

I have a 2012 Avalanche 5.3 (26,000 miles) and a 2008 Avalanche 5.3 (75,000 miles) . Have been a loyal GM purchaser for 30 years(purchased 20+ GM vehicles in 30 years) . Absolutely loved these vehicles UNTIL NOW !
Recently got stabiltrack, engine, traction control lights all pop on and the engine running rough at idle on the 2008 Avalanche . Made appt. at Chevrolet Garage only to find out all about 5.3L AFM PROBLEM and #4 lifter failure.
Option #1 .....Replace lifters........................................... ..............$4000.00
Option #2 .....Replace lifters and cam .........................................$5000.00---------was most likely required
Option #3......Replace Motor w/ GM reman and water pump......$6500.00-------(my choice)
Requested the dealer to ask GM for some financial help with repairs as my vehicle is as new with regular maintenance and oil changes and I never planned on installing a new motor in my $40,000.00 truck at 75,000 miles......GM DECLINED !
I opted to replace the motor - supposedly has 3 year unlimited mileage warranty that they could not produce any paperwork to back up.....Really ...... Then I started a line of numerous conversations with GM Customer Care only to be denied financial help again...............Thanks GM.......The Ford Raptor is looking real good guys !

Last edited by GMNOHELP; August 11th, 2016 at 5:43 PM.
Old August 5th, 2016, 4:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sorry here about your trouble gm should make it write but they wont
Old August 6th, 2016, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default Dates and mileage

Originally Posted by Trudat
Hey GM owners. I am coming close to deciding the path that I am going to take concerning my truck. I'm leaning close to selling this truck and never buying GM again. Hopefully, there can be some in this forum that can change my mind. Question: How many people on this forum have had multiple visits to the dealership for repairs? What I mean is after the truck was repaired (cams and lifters), how long did it take for the problem to show up again? So far, on this forum I have read two. Dates and mileage would be helpful.
The details of my situation are fairly well documented in this forum, just search by my user name.
Old August 6th, 2016, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

I was forced to dump my 2010 Silverado 30 days before the warranty expired with 80k miles. It began to have slight miss after all repairs done the year before. It placed me under severe financial burden as I have a wife with cancer. I could not absorb the cost of a new engine or repair when it fails again outside warranty. It had 3 times already and last a few years. It was showing signs the engine was starting the oil burn, spark plug foul, and piston carbon again. I could not risk losing the engine on my dime with caring for a cancer wife.

I am happy to report two good outcomes. 1. My wife is now in full remission of cancer. So I thank the God of Heaven for that news. 2. I got a 2015 V6 Silverado Z71. While I would have NEVER bought or traded in my 2010 for ANY other reason, this was forced on me. I really needed to get from under the payments.

But the 4.6 V8 with 3.42 rear end is by FAR FAR FAR a better truck then my 2010 5.3. All things being the same except. 2010 5.3l 4x4 Tow pack with 3.04 rear end. 2015 has V6 but with 3.42 and Z71.
The 2015 has been now with 10K miles 100% trouble free and much better truck.

So in my case I am struggling with the financial burden and no matter how anyone looks I did take a loss, even though the dealer did make some extra discounts. It cost me a lot and is a burden. But in fairness I do find the 2015 V6 with more power and better then the 2010. I am curious as it seems strange. What is the to the tire power level of the 2010 5.3l with 3.04 rear end VS the 2015 V6 with 3.42 rear end. I find the V6 pulls the hills far better.
In math calculations I suppose the V8 would be better, but in real life my V6 is so much better. All things being the same. Crew Cab 4x4 6Sp trans. Both had tow pack. 2015 has Z71 but 2010 did not.
While it is a hard time and I was content with the 2010. I think 10 years for now I will say, shame on GM for not addressing the issue. But all things have worked together for good to me regardless of GM's lack of action.

I have never been dedicated to a brand. All brands have had the fair share of failures. But in this age of internet, GM and the others have not yet learned how to address the issues in a speedy and reputation saving manner.
In my personal group of co workers and family. This 5.3l problem has been responsible for at least 3 Toyota sales. While there will always be brand hopping. I stay away from Dodge but sure like the Cummings Diesel.
But Dodge has a poor reputation on the body and mechanical issues of the trucks. Not so much the engine.

It is not that the 5.3l issue happened as it is a just a man made machine. Something is always bound to go wrong. In may case if GM would have added a extra year warranty to the 5.3l I would not have traded sold it.
I would have kept the truck and then traded it the next year. Not so much by need but more by my desire feeling I got the best years of the truck. Then I would have said GM did right. But now I just say. Buyer beware. GM is just another but perhaps better company then rest.

While no company can make ALL happy. This is a big enough issue that it affects a large number of its customers. It will be over someday when the last 5.3l is sent to the junk yard. But it sure left a black spot on a rather clean white banner.

This will not knock GM out of the market. But it was a big bump for people who were affected by it. It should have and could still be addressed. Would it not be outstanding if GM made some recompense? I have saved most of my papers on the old 2010. What could one say if in these cases like me GM said the ones who traded in 5.3l for other GM can apply for 1 month payment assistance or some help with customer paid repairs at a GM dealer? That would be unprecedented.

But in the end money is tight and GM is too big. Nobody wins this time. Not the buyers or GM. The internet does even the field. But in the end all lose. Companies may not be able to fix it but the consumers publish the complaints.
In the end people brand hop looking for the most reliable choice. In my part of the woods Toyota Tacoma or Tundra is getting the verbal recommendation. They would not give me a fair deal so I did not buy that line.

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$