Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 6:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

driveline clunk in 2013 silverado

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2013, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driveline clunk in 2013 silverado

From the time I purchased my 2013 Z71 4x4 in February, I have had an occasional clunk when slowing down and then pushing back on the gas. My 2008 4x2 had this happen and the dealer replaced the yoke, and every 15 to 20k miles I would need to pack the yoke with grease. When I took the 2013 to the dealer for this they could not duplicate the problem, so did nothing. I took the truck to another dealer and they said the same think. Now I have a distinctive metal sound that has happened with this clunk. I went back to the dealer and they told me there was a bulletin that said this is caused by 'play' in the driveline and is normal. They said not to worry about it, but monitor it to see if there is a change. They also said that this is more prevalent in 4x4's and they can not grease the yoke.

It only happens between 20 and 30 mph. The metal clunk sound seems abnormal to me. Here are a few questions: 1. If it is normal play, why doesnt it happen all the time? 2. Why does it only happen between 20 & 30 mph and not other speeds? 3. Does the metal clunk fall into the same category as the other clunk I have? 4. Why dont all the Silverados do this?
Old August 7th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

spr63,

I am sorry to are having this noise concern with your Silverado. I would like to look into this further. Can you please provide me with your name, VIN, phone number, and the name of your GM dealership? I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 30th, 2013, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

I'm having a similar issue with my 2012 4.3 2wd Automatic. Read the same bulletin. Have not had it to the delaer yet.
Old September 30th, 2013, 9:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi SoundFlick,

We're sorry if you're also experiencing a noise in your vehicle. If you would like for us to research any technical service bulletins listed for your vehicle please let us know. If you PM us your VIN and mileage we can look into this further for you.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 5th, 2014, 1:49 AM
CF Beginner

I am experiencing the same clunk sound occasionally and it only happens at 30 mph and the dealership cannot re-produce.
Old May 14th, 2014, 9:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default 4.3 auto clunk

There is definitely a problem with my 2012 Silverado 4.3l v6 with 2wd auto. It clunks when you slow down to 20 to 30 km/h then accelrtate. Dealer says it is normal...just bought a 2014 Sierra with the same configuration and it does not clunk. ..so wtf? Not sure why I rewarded them by buying another. Fix my problem please!
Old October 21st, 2014, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2012 Silverado LTZ has the "CLUNK" and its progressively getting worse. My truck has 21,000 miles on it. It's most obvious in stop and go highway driving. My truck's "CLUNK" is more appropriately described as a "JOLT AND SLAM." Two dealerships have explained the defect similarly.
The dealership where I bought it was kind enough to examine the rear transaxle and transmission and concluded that all was "in tolerance." After four visits for the same problem, there was no solution.
A second dealership's service department experts concluded that the "JOLT AND SLAM" are nothing to worry about because it received a Bulletin from HQ on the defect. What's a owner to do? I hope Chevrolet's engineering department understand that hard hitting metal-to-metal contact ultimately produces failure. I pray that when the failure occurs it does not result in an accident.
Old October 24th, 2014, 1:10 PM
CF Junior Member

I think its funny how GM releases a bulletin outlining a defect, instructing dealers to tell customers the defect is normal.

Is it normal or is a defect, GM??

I have the same issue I plan to bring up at my next oil change appointment.

As an aside, I have been looking at the pretty 2015 HD's, but then I remember some of the silly issues I've had with my truck and I remind myself that this will be my last vehicle from GM.
Old October 25th, 2014, 11:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GM/Chevrolet Safety Administrator, Please.

Do vehicle accidents result from GM/Chevrolet's drivetrain CLUNK? Has CLUNK resulted in vehicle accidents? Has LAG resulted in vehicle accidents?

My 2012 4x4 1500 Silverado LTZ drivetrain has a very hard jolt and slam noise during its CLUNK and or LAG, as identified and described by Chevrolet Service Departments in Austin, TX. These department personnel and management insist the defect is insignificant to the safety and driving performance of my truck.

My truck exhibits severe drivetrain jarring and metal-to-metal noise during ordinary, routine driving conditions. This phenomena is drivetrain related. I'm not an authority on Chevrolet vehicle safety.

What is the next step? GM/Chevrolet monitors these posts. Chevrolet/GM Customer Service, Engineering, or Legal, please get in touch with me directly.

Thank you.
The following users liked this post:
Mugen (April 23rd, 2020)
Old November 1st, 2014, 11:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default yoke slam and clunk noise

Hi everyone,

I have an 08 Silverado 5.3 engine. I was having that slam and clunk problem also. After getting tired of this I e-mailed GM customer assistance told them of the issue. I got a call from the dealership where I purchased truck, they examined truck, tech drove truck until it did slam, he told me it was the yoke. Dealership manager said he would see if he could get GM to replace the yoke since it was a continuing problem I was mentioning.
Long story short, GM replaced yoke with chrome yoke, this yoke did cut down on the slam and clunk shift. I do occasionally get that slam and clunk but not as regular as I once did.
When ever I get the oil changed I do make sure that they grease the yoke or pack it. I think this is a well known "issue" that GM knows about and they should make somekind of correction for this problem and make it a recall for "all" chevy truck owners who are experiencing this issue.

Quick Reply: driveline clunk in 2013 silverado