Notices
2014 - 2018 (GMT-K2) Section for all discussion related to the 2014 - 2018 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.

Truck starts for 10 seconds then turns off. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2016, 1:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck starts for 10 seconds then turns off. Ideas?

I have a 2014 Silverado 5.3 L. 32000 km. It has been -30 C for a week. I have been plugging it in and starting it every day but have not been driving it. It now will start in the morning but will only stay on for 10 seconds then turn off. Then it will not start again until it's been plugged in for a while and do the same 10 seconds then shut off. Engine light comes on. I have a code reader but nothing comes on. Seems like the engine isn't getting fuel. Put fuel anti freeze in tank and added new fuel. Didn't seem to help. Frozen lines? It has said "low battery start engine". Had a battery tester and it is fine. It shouldn't start or turn over if the battery was dead.
Old December 11th, 2016, 6:02 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

-30 C, ok, I'd go from there with fuel issues
Old December 11th, 2016, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you say "plug in" is that a battery charger or the block heater? Have you considered the security system is activating? If the engine shuts off, there will be cluster warning lights, but that would be normal. A battery with inadequate voltage to "fire" the electronics will crank the engine, but not keep it running. Have you jumped the vehicle to another operating vehicle?
Old December 12th, 2016, 8:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

if there is a cel light on during the 10seconds its running, a dtc will be stored. Maybe your code reader can't retrieve it. theft codes can't be read by code readers.
if the battery can crank the engine and start it in -30*C weather it will definitely be able to keep the car running evening if the charging system not working.....250amps for a cold start 10amps to keep it running.