Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Got a cool sound system? Discuss all your Audio, Video, and other cool electronics here! Please limit the contents to aftermarket only. If you have questions that pertain to a certain model, post it in a model-specific section.

Chevy Bose Premium System Vs. Ford Audiophile

Search this Thread

Old February 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevy Bose Premium System Vs. Ford Audiophile

Having been a lifelong Ford guy, I was challanged to test drive a Chevy Silverado Short Crew 1500 4WD before I made my next purchase. I did and now I'm hooked. However, there was one bitter pill I'm trying to swallow and wanting to check to see if my assessment was correct.

The new 08 Ford has the 6 disk MP3 AM FM Sirius with the Audiophile feature. It's a $250 add on which includes a two foot sub under the back seat. The Chevy I drove today had the AM/FM Auto Tone, CD, XM with the Bose Premium System. I quickly adjusted the settings to match and listened to the same style of music through both systems. With the Ford there was noticable base -- enough to vibrate the windows and the seat. The music was clear with range and was very powerful. The Chevy Bose system failed to provide any base and I wasn't even aware until later there was a sub between the seats.

Has anyone else compared these two systems? I assumed a Bose system would far surpase any Ford "add-on" feature. Possiblly I didn't have the settings correct or the sub wasn't connected.

Any input or experiences would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 8th, 2008, 1:58 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Chevy Bose Premium System Vs. Ford Audiophile

It depends which Ford "audiophile" system you choose. Ford is kinda funny, in that they dont stick with one brand. For example, When the Ranger Edge Tremor came out, that audiophile system was Pioneer. Then the special edition Focus and the SVT Focus audiophile came with Sony. And for a long time, they used JBL, cause thats what my older ford had. All I could dig up on the 2008 was that it came with a 340 watt audiophile system including an 8" sub, doesnt site an offical brand. Who knows. We all know that subs require airspace. So ford goes with the 8", cause thats what they can fit under the back seat. Im just guessing here, but if you say the Bose sub is between the seats, I would venture to say its no bigger than a 6 1/2" sub. So that would explain the diffrence in bass between the two systems. However, personal prefrence, I think bose makes higher quality mids and highs, for a factory sound system. If you like the Chevy truck better, there is a way to fix the problem and get better bass keeping your bose components.Here is a website that you can purchase an adapter that plugs directly into your bose system and allows you to add an amp and additional sub. The adapter is called a line output converter. You didnt specify what year the truck is so I cant give you a part number, but feel free to search the website if your intrested. www.logjamelectronics.com Its very easy to install, its all plug and play, and includes an amp remote turn on wire. You can buy the subwoofer enclosure for the truck at www.subthump.com
Old February 8th, 2008, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Fireman....Thanks for your quick reply. I'm a FF also - IAFF L-1084. I was comparing both 2008 year models. I'm going to do some additional research today in terms of what and where Chevy has their subs. It's not a deal breaker, but it's something that keeps nagging me and really does surprise me that a Bose system sounded so, uh, "average".

Thanks again for your reply.
Old February 8th, 2008, 10:01 AM
CF Senior Member

Awesome, its always good to meet a fellow brother. Im with IAFF L-4063, midsize city southwest of Houston, TX. Anyways, Bose automotive usually sounds good. An ex-girlfriend of mine had a Bose system in her Nissan Z and it rocked!! They probably use diffrent subwoofer sizes for diffrent vehicle applications depending on the availible space provided, ya know. Ill tell you one thing though, the best factory stereo ive ever heardis in my buddys 2008 Mustang GT. He has that shaker 1000 system with like 10 speakers including two 500 watt subs. I dont know who makes the components, but they sound awesome, like aftermarket. If your at a dealership lookin around, ask to hear one.