Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

2007 Avalanche starts up on it's own!!

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2011, 8:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 Avalanche starts up on it's own!!

Some of you may remember me from an earlier post about radio quitting when it rains. Well, new gremlins, same vehicle I have been around my Avalanche at least 3 times now when it started by itself! Last time I was filling it with gas when it suddenly cranked over and started; dangerous as the attendant came running out screaming at me about remote starting my truck while fueling. No I did not; keys and key fob with remote start were still inside the Avalanche.

Same thing has happened on several other days/nights twice for sure. One time parked in my driveway, 3:30A.M. it suddenly started and woke me up. Ran about 30 seconds and shut itself off. I went out to go to work around 6 A.M. that morning and found that the truck would not crank over. Checked battery, it was at 11.99 volts. Slapped on my booster pack and it fired right up.

Dealer has looked at everything, no luck. I have to wonder how many times it started when I wasn't around! Too strange! Yes Chevy it has been to my dealer, but I need help to resolve this. What happens if I am changing oiland it starts by itself? I'll be out an engine!! Or gassing up again and it starts a fire/explosion and kills people!
Old October 4th, 2011, 9:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it actually ran for a little bit, there must be a short that's simulating the ignition key in start. They should be able to go from there. If it were me, I'd start with BCM connector X1, terminals 2 and 4 (PNK and WHT wires). Check for a slight short across the wires with key out and look for possible short to voltage as well.
Old October 13th, 2011, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy?? Are you there?

No reply from GM at all?
Old October 18th, 2011, 4:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default I guess Chevy doesn't care at all

Still watching for a response, but nobody from the NEW GM seems to care about us , the people who have been Chevy buyers for many years. Well......
Old October 18th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by EinST
If it actually ran for a little bit, there must be a short that's simulating the ignition key in start. They should be able to go from there. If it were me, I'd start with BCM connector X1, terminals 2 and 4 (PNK and WHT wires). Check for a slight short across the wires with key out and look for possible short to voltage as well.
How bizarre, a self hot wiring vehicle....I was going to suspect errant or very strong RF signals in the area , but then what are the chances the signal would always hit the right one to trigger the remote start...
I agree that a short somewhere or a defective BCM is to blame...
Old October 19th, 2011, 8:48 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Fullpull,
Did you talk to Customer Assistance? Did you get a case set up? If you would like you can give me your case number and I can look further into the case for you.
Breanne
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old October 19th, 2011, 5:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Case #

71-963131277
Old October 28th, 2011, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one could be all too easy. If you have a aftermarket remote on your Av, it may have a way to program a automatic start up time. I had one on a Code Alam years ago. Came in pretty handy back during the winter. By the time I got up for work, most all of the snow would be melted off the truck and I didn't even have to remote start it myself. You had to set the alarm in a different way than you normally would, it would start a timer internally to what how ever many hours from then you chose. Hope this helps.
Old November 2nd, 2011, 9:54 AM
CF Beginner

Just an update, Chevy and my dealer are currently working to get this problem resolved. I will report the outcome as soon as they have it diagnosed and remove the gremlins, if there is interest. This has the factory remote startbtw.
Old December 17th, 2011, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Updates on self-starting Av 12/17/11

Well, the dealer has isolated the problem to a wiring harness. It runs down the A pillar and along the kick plate as well as under the driver seat. Somehow water is entering the vehicle near the front seat, causing severe degradation of the harness. wires were green with corrosion and brittle, some were broken.

GM is working to locate a harness as stock is depleted currently. Looks like a mid January target date now. I am working to remain patient with this. The main concern of mine is that the source of the leak is located and repaired. Is there a way to pressurize the cabin while using canned smoke like fire departments use? That surely would point out any areas of concern.

Hoping for the best possible end to this dilemma soon.

Quick Reply: 2007 Avalanche starts up on it's own!!