Avalanche Chevy's first real SUT, combining the interior room of an SUV and the cargo ability of a pickup truck.

Chevrolet Avalanche
Platform: GMT 805 & 900

Utility Carrier for 09 Avalanche?

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2011, 3:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Utility Carrier for 09 Avalanche?

Do any of you know of an aftermarket "carrier" that could be temporarily placed, mounted, or strapped onto the top of the section panels covering
the bed? Since everything would be relatively waterproof inside the bed this would not have to be waterproof. Just to be used for carrying extra items such as ice coolers and the like but obviously don't have any more room in the bed. It would be placed directly behind the passenger window and between the plastic buttresses slanting down and connecting the roof to the front of the bed. Was considering using my other car's rooftop carrier on the bed (clamshell type) that is waterproof but found that accessing items inside could be a pain. Am thinking more of an open aluminum-frame rig (?) with cushioned feet that could hold around 100 lbs and yet not mar the panel tops. Also, any leads on any 3rd party bike carriers that could be secured in that area also?
Please help! Am open to idea's...even something I could build?
Old April 21st, 2011, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Look at Yakima racks for these parts
1. (4) Q-Towers (4/pack) $125
2. (2) Q-30 clips (2/pack) $50
3. (1) 48” bars (2/pack) $45

and this will give you a way to mount a rack or bikes above your bed covers securely
Old May 1st, 2011, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default Yak Racks!

Dear Mr. Burton...

Thanks! I would have gone to them first but thought they only delt in the ski\snowboard variety. Never assume, right? Hope you are surviving the gas prices as of late. Thank gosh my Ave is young enough to take Flex! Normally would be paying $4.15 here in Dayton but found a Meijers locally carrying E85 the other day for $3.19 which helps of course. Now, if the
gas mileage decrease only offsets the lower cost?? I assume you have an Avalanche too and your gas economy decreases when you switch to E85 also? If so, how much?? Unleaded can be as high as 21 mpg if I drive it correctly but drops to 15-16 mpg with corn juice. What say you?

Again...thanks for your advice and hope your prices are much better in Austin than it is here...J
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Austin? Oops!

I really meant to say Corpus Christie, not Austin! Sorry...J
Old May 2nd, 2011, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Yes I do have an 09 Avalanche Ltz 4x4 and gas here is about $3.85 a gallon a little cheaper than your price but e85 is not avaliable here which is wierd considering how much gas is produced here in Corpus and shipped or piped out of here.