service engine soon

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2014, 1:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up service engine soon

Hi to all chevy members, I am posting for the first time so please forgive my lack of knowledge
I live in an American RV in Spain and have been lucky to also own a chevy g20 dayvan its a 4.3 v6 1995 I have done a lot of work on it and will continue to restore it. I have one nagging problem the service engine soon light will switch on at various times apart from removing the bulb can anyone help with switching this damn thing off
regards Bob
Old December 16th, 2014, 5:34 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Try and get access to a scanner and find out why the light keeps coming on. It may be important and cause you problems in a short while. Fixing the problem is better than ignoring it. It may be something simple like a loose gas cap.
Old December 17th, 2014, 1:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

getting a scanner here in Spain that should be fun lol, when I get one I don't know where to plug it into as there is no obvious socket. I have serviced every part on the van including replacing all the brake components and lines
however it stood in a field for 8 years and had various critters live in it maybe one has chewed a wire. do you know how the service guys at the garage clear the service engine soon light after they finish working on the vehicle
Regards Bob
Old December 28th, 2014, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob bridgeman
getting a scanner here in Spain that should be fun lol, when I get one I don't know where to plug it into as there is no obvious socket. I have serviced every part on the van including replacing all the brake components and lines
however it stood in a field for 8 years and had various critters live in it maybe one has chewed a wire. do you know how the service guys at the garage clear the service engine soon light after they finish working on the vehicle
Regards Bob
They use a code scanner than can clear the code., but you have to plug into the port. (Else on the older stuff, unplugging the battery for a few minutes would work).

Do you see anything that looks like this in the picture?

OBD in 1995 Chevy G20 van.