Caprice This full sized sedan gained infamous recognition as being the choice of many police forces nationwide.
Platform: B-Body

1989 rim size

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2017, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1989 rim size

I was looking at rims on a couple of website. But then I noticed you can get the rims in multiple different sizes? whats the best fit for a 1989 Caprice Classic? Will ride quality be affected depending on the size of the rim? I seen a few I wanted, I just have this concern left! Can anyone help?
Old July 11th, 2017, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevyonforgiatos
I was looking at rims on a couple of website. But then I noticed you can get the rims in multiple different sizes? whats the best fit for a 1989 Caprice Classic? Will ride quality be affected depending on the size of the rim? I seen a few I wanted, I just have this concern left! Can anyone help?
I know it's been a while since you posted this question but here's my take on it.

First of all, AFAIK the Caprice should have either 15x6 or 15x7 wheels. What is it you are trying to accomplish? Are you lowering it? Are you wanting to keep a basically stock ride? Are you 'Donking' it?

A LOT of questions need to be answered. Also the offset of the rims will have an affect on the handling of the vehicle.
Old October 5th, 2017, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

I remember a guy telling me the '91 Caprice carried 15x7 5-on-5 wheels, whereas most GM's were 5-on-4 and 7/8 centers.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default rims on a '89 Caprice

First of all, be aware that non-stock wide rims will not only affect handling & ride, but will increase the wear on wheel bearings.

Secondly, there were two versions of the 15" stock rims.... the difference being that cars that came with wire wheel covers.. had a stock rim that was "deeper" to accommodate the sort-of bell-shaped retaining device between said wire wheel covers and the rim itself. Such device had three "legs" that fit under three of the five special, wider-flanged lug nuts... for cars that came with such wheel covers.

Thirdly, I know that the latter-type "deeper" rims that allowed for fitting "wire-wheel-covers" were 15 x 7s. The other 'stock' wheel covers may have also been 15 x 7s.... IDK.

Fourthly, I believe that you'll gain far more in trying to replicate a F41 sport / handling suspension... using these different components... than you will in going to taller, "conastoga wagon-wheels"... and/or reducing the suspension height. That's just goofy "inner-city looks"... that will do NOTHING in terms of increasing handling. In fact, those things will only make it worse! Therefore, consider different sway bars, springs, and shocks.. that the F41-equipped Caprices came with. THEN you'll have a superior car!