Captiva The Captiva has been sold worldwide since 2006 and now comes to the US to replace the Saturn Vue
Chevy Captiva
Platform: Theta

2012 Captiva electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old June 16th, 2015, 10:51 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by obrienelisa
I have been having several issues with my 2012 Chevy Captiva Sport LTZ-

1)when I use my blinker the radio will cut out and my cruise kicks off
2)when I apply the brake or shift from drive into park the radio will just cut out
3)when I'm sitting still the radio cuts out
4)when I connect my iPhone via USB port sometimes it will tell me the device isn't supported and sometimes it doesn't.

These issues don't happen all the time, every time, it's very intermittent.

The latest issue was when I was driving on the highway, it dinged at me twice and all of the lights on my instrument panel came on and then went off.

I have taken it to the dealership twice, but since it's not storing any codes and they can't get it to replicate these issues, they keep telling me there is nothing they can do. I'm just afraid of my vehicle dying while I'm driving down the highway.... then we'll have a real problem.

Any suggestions?
Hi there,

Have you tried contacting Infotainment Customer Support about your connectivity issues? They can be reached by phone at 855-428-3669 and may be able to provide trouble shooting help. Also, if you need any further assistance we're just a private message away. Please send your VIN, full contact information, and primary servicing dealership name.

Thanks,
Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 3rd, 2015, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fail

My family has stood by chevy for many many years so when i bought my 2012 chevy captiva sport in April 2015 i had no worries. I was wrong!!! Since i have bought my car i have had nothing but problems. Every single day my radio goes back and forth every 10-30 seconds displaying connecting to usb device when nothing is plugged in. And when you do plug in a usb device it switches back to the radio and continues the same error message. When this first started it was once here and there bit it is now to the point that I cannot even use the radio. This message even comes on when the radio is off!!!! I have also had problems removing my key from the ignition several times. I cant tell you how many times i have had to turn the car on and off and turn the steering wheel hopping it will release and give back the key. I recently went on a vacation and my car couldnt make it up the small mountains i didnt dare to try a normal slope of any kind. If you dare to do any type if incline the engine jumps to 4000RPM. I have seen so many post with the same problems and chevy is doing nothing to fix it.
Old July 3rd, 2015, 2:27 PM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by Jriggs
My family has stood by chevy for many many years so when i bought my 2012 chevy captiva sport in April 2015 i had no worries. I was wrong!!! Since i have bought my car i have had nothing but problems. Every single day my radio goes back and forth every 10-30 seconds displaying connecting to usb device when nothing is plugged in. And when you do plug in a usb device it switches back to the radio and continues the same error message. When this first started it was once here and there bit it is now to the point that I cannot even use the radio. This message even comes on when the radio is off!!!! I have also had problems removing my key from the ignition several times. I cant tell you how many times i have had to turn the car on and off and turn the steering wheel hopping it will release and give back the key. I recently went on a vacation and my car couldnt make it up the small mountains i didnt dare to try a normal slope of any kind. If you dare to do any type if incline the engine jumps to 4000RPM. I have seen so many post with the same problems and chevy is doing nothing to fix it.
Hi Jriggs,

We apologize for the recent concerns you are experiencing in your Captiva. We would be more than happy to look into this further, and assist the best way possible. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 21st, 2015, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Ok everyone i have a chevy captiva 2012 and had all of the same radio problems. I just replaced my radio and problem solved !!!! No need to wast money at the delership doing diagnostics
Old July 21st, 2015, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Angry crappy service

I'm having same problem with the radio and get the device and USB Took to dealer told him message and about all the other people with same problem He said to call XM radio Why?
Also had problem with rear window washer after 2hrs and $95 was told it would cost $400 All that has to be done is take have of door apart Not a happy camper
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'll never buy another Chevy

I also have a 2012 Captiva with all the same problems. It's at the dealers now. They just called, they have know idea what's wrong. So far it is costing me $94, but they are going to run more diagnostics to see if they can locate the problem. I had to rent a car because the dealer did not have a loaner I could use, so I can add more $$$ to what this is going to cost. What does Chevy have to say 'Sorry, we know about this problem but, you are on your own.'

07/25/15
I'm getting my car back today. It cost over $900 to have it fixed plus whatever the rental cost. Thank you Chevy and GM.
FYI: if you go to safecar.gov you will find a service bulletin (P1-1235) for this exact problem. To bad GM won't acknowledge that this is a problem.

07/31/15
I haven't even had my car back a week, and already I'm having the same problems.

my car was dead when I went to start it after work yesterday. I had to call triple a to have it jumped. I charged the battery all night, the battery charger indicated that the battery was fully charged but the car was still dead. I wasted a half hour trying to start my car. I was finally able to get it started with a portable jumper. as soon as I turned the car off it lost all power again now I have to carry a portable jumper with me to start my car. this is f____d up.

08/11/15
My car is back at the dealers, took it in on 08/07/15. Still no word if they found what is causing all the problems. I really don't think they have a clue. Whether they fix the problem or not I am defiantly getting rid of this car.

Last edited by saviolik; August 11th, 2015 at 7:43 AM. Reason: to revise
The following users liked this post:
dicus30 (September 13th, 2020)
Old July 25th, 2015, 9:49 AM
Official GM Rep

Originally Posted by saviolik
I also have a 2012 Captiva with all the same problems. It's at the dealers now. They just called, they have know idea what's wrong. So far it is costing me $94, but they are going to run more diagnostics to see if they can locate the problem. I had to rent a car because the dealer did not have a loaner I could use, so I can add more $$$ to what this is going to cost. What does Chevy have to say 'Sorry, we know about this problem but, you are on your own.'

07/25/15
I'm getting my car back today. It cost over $900 to have it fixed plus whatever the rental cost. Thank you Chevy and GM.
FYI: if you go to safecar.gov you will find a service bulletin (P1-1235) for this exact problem. To bad GM won't acknowledge that this is a problem.
Hey saviolik,

Glad to hear you're getting your Captiva back today, but we understand having out of pocket costs can be a bit discouraging. I understand the dealership didn't find any service announcements associated with what you're experiencing. Please know that we've redoubled our efforts on pending product reviews, bringing them forward and resolving them quickly. If it's discovered this issue warrants a recall in the future you should be eligible for reimbursement. Again, we're sorry if you did not receive the outcome you were hoping for. If there's anything we can do to assist further please don't hesitate to PM us your VIN and contact info.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old July 27th, 2015, 9:16 PM
CF Beginner

Default chevy captiva

My captiva has the same problems, what did you figure out?
The following users liked this post:
dicus30 (September 13th, 2020)
Old July 28th, 2015, 3:55 PM
CF Beginner

I've started experiencing random radio turning on & off, start up chime while drive and message to while driving my 2012 Captiva LTZ last weekend. I have 60K miles on my Captiva, is the fix covered by GM?
Old July 29th, 2015, 6:52 AM
CF Beginner

No the fix is not covered by GM unless you have an extended warranty maybe then it will be covered, but who knows

Quick Reply: 2012 Captiva electrical issues