Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

01 Cavy, Lights went out and Wipers went real slow then it all came back on.

Search this Thread

Old June 10th, 2012, 4:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Cavy, Lights went out and Wipers went real slow then it all came back on.

HI all,
Well my wifes 2001 2.2 Base 4dr was having wiper issues. She told me they would randomly stop working and then come back on. I figured it to be the motor or the wiper switch (Its base model so it doesn't have combination switch). The headlight switch is on the left and the wipers on are on the right. I bought a new motor and a new wiper switch and replaced (All worked great). I decided to take it out on a test drive to see how the car did since I hardly drive it. Its my wifes work car and she loves it. She wont part with it, its In excellent condition. So I'm hammering around some country curves at about midnight and the headlights go out (Daylight runners stay on) no low or high beam. Being I just put a new wiper switch in I hurried up and turned them on, well the wiper very slowly started dragging itself up the windshield. I turned the light switch off and on and I could hear a loud clicking noise (Kinda sounded like a big relay) some where around me. The car is base so it doesn't have power locks or windows. So I decided to get my A$$ home ASAP since i only had DLR. well about 2 minutes after the headlights went out (low and high) everything came right back on, the wipers even started working normal.

I know these cars have wire harness issues as Ive fixed 3 so far (My daughter and neighbor have a cavy) and its generally the headlight harness behind the bumper or under the battery tray and up toward the firewall some. These are all moisture problems that are due to bad a design. The wires get corroded.

The thing is though, all those well known problems have always dealt with low beams working no drl or no low beam but just high beams and etc. They never involved (at least the 3 I rewired) the wiper motor power. Everything works fine now I even took the covers off steering wheel and rechecked the harness's and ground for the head light switch and wiper switch.

I did have the negative cable off a few times when I replaced those parts. I checked it and it was tight at the post. The positive was a tad loose but not bad.

Has anyone hear ever had this issue? Any suggestions would be great. I don't want to rip into those wire harness's unless I have to.

Thanks...

Wire...
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever figure your problem out. I have nearly the same problem. i replaced the headlight switch and washer switch, and didnt help. my headlights only come on if I put the car in gear,( sometimes) and the wiper lever you can move it up or down to adjust headlight brightness. wipers still wont work. Iam clueless.