Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

02 Cavalier Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2014, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Cavalier Starting Issues

I'm having a recurring problem with the car turning over. I will turn the key, and the car won't turn over. I can do this 20-30 times, sometimes more, sometimes less, and it will eventually turn over and start up like there is no problem. It's been doing this for about 2 months, and I've tried a bunch of different things. I know the problem is not any fuses or relays, ignition switch, or neutral safety switch. I'm considering the starter motor, but I'd like to see if anyone has come across this problem before. Thanks.
Old November 4th, 2014, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

fuel pressure regulator

Old November 5th, 2014, 5:49 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response, but that's definitely not it. It's not hard starting; when I turn the key, it doesn't turn over at all. I can turn the key 5 times, I can turn it 50 times, I don't know when, but it will eventually turn over. When it turns over, it starts right up.
Old November 5th, 2014, 6:49 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Put a meter on the starter solenoid. Turn the key to start and see if you are getting voltage to the solenoid. If you are then replace the starter. if you are not then something else is to blame. How do you know for sure that the switch and relay are good? it could also be a loose or broken wire. you have to check things one by one until you find the problem.
Old November 5th, 2014, 10:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree with old chevy. or pull the starter and take it to an autoparts store and have it tested.

Is your battery good? Are the connections good or oozing with corrosion? Maybe sure all electrical connections are good and tight and clean.
Old November 6th, 2014, 6:27 AM
CF Beginner

I know it's not the switch because I replaced it, and I know it's not the relay or fuses because I've replaced the relay and checked the fuses. The battery is pretty new, and works just fine. As far as the wires, from what I have seen, they look like they are in good condition, but as far as the condition of their connections, I'm not so sure because I don't have anything to compare them to. They seem like they are well connected to me, but I could be wrong. I would have thought if it were a wiring issue, it would behave differently than it has. It will work sometimes on the first key turn, and sometimes it will take many turns of the key before it turns over, but it always works eventually. This doesn't seem like a broken or corroded wire, but I'm really not an expert, so thanks for the advice, I'll check them again.
Old November 7th, 2014, 4:57 AM
CF Beginner

When you turn the key are you getting power/light in the dash?
Old November 9th, 2014, 6:12 AM
CF Beginner

Yes I am.
Old November 10th, 2014, 1:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a security related type issue?
Old December 1st, 2014, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue and stuck at store

Originally Posted by bugrollei
When you turn the key are you getting power/light in the dash?
I'm having the same issues but it won't start no matter how many times I turn the key over but unlike op my instrument cluster won't light up

Quick Reply: 02 Cavalier Starting Issues