Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2000 2.2 starts sometime but I need it to start all the time

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2016, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Called the ignition control module or distributor control module. I am on my 3rd one in 340k miles - but again, no idea if it applies to your vehicle.
Old August 8th, 2016, 12:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah that's different from mine I have a crank position sensor and if that failed I would either have no spark or it would spark at the wrong time which would be very noticeable that's not my problem. Thanks for helping I guess I just have to keep pushing forward
Old August 8th, 2016, 8:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I will post a pic of the one I made.
if there is a picknpull nearby; find a cav in the yard and cut off the connectors you need.
Old August 8th, 2016, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

Heah tech2 we have yards that part out the cars and then warehouse them. I am not aware of any u pull yards around. We had a bunch of them in PA but here its different. I am not sure they even keep the gas lines. If so they would want to sell the entire line for big bucks I am sure.
You said you bought the ends. What exactly were they? I know they come in the Master Test Kits so someone makes them. I really want to see what the pressure looks like.

Thanks
Old August 8th, 2016, 7:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

and I forgot to take the fuel line home...I will post tomorrow
I just went into napa and asked for there fuel line repair quick connects...they brought me out a whole bunch and I matched it up...I will see if I can find the part #
Old August 9th, 2016, 8:00 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
and I forgot to take the fuel line home...I will post tomorrow
I just went into napa and asked for there fuel line repair quick connects...they brought me out a whole bunch and I matched it up...I will see if I can find the part #
Great I am hunting a Napa store. My friend says there's one nearby. I will use your part numbers. That should fix me up. Thanks
Old August 9th, 2016, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Well NAPA said they only can get the male end for $16 so I decided to find these things. I found them on Amazon OTC set gives both the male and female 3/8 for $20. I was then able to return the tester I got from Autozone. I then bought one from Harbor Freight. it did not have the bypass but that was easy with a few brass fittings and a shutoff and piece of 1/4 hose. I now have a tester with bypass that cost me total $25 (including fittings)and then the ends for $20 for a total of $45 which is less than the tester I bought from Autozone which I still needed to buy the ends. The ends will be here next week from Amazon so I will be able to check pressure then. I will post my findings when I get them next week.
Thanks
Old August 14th, 2016, 5:31 PM
CF Beginner

Default Findings

Ok I finally got the ends and I checked fuel pressure. I had nothing! No pressure no flow. The fuel pump was running when key turned but no flow. I then took a bat and hit the tank and the fuel started flowing. I was not able to get a pressure reading because the HF gauge leaked gas everywhere but The car then ran. So it is a definite bad fuel pump even though the pump was running. I need to change out the pump and I will have a running car again.
Thanks all for the help.