Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 cav lights dimming

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2009, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 cav lights dimming

hi,
for over 3 weeks i've had a problem w/ my cavalier... started out with my heater fan going low, then high, back and forth.. then a few weeks later, my headlights and dash lights started dimming same time fan went low as i was driving, more i pressed on gas, more dimming. Also started to do it after car was warmed up a bit.
has been brought to 2 people in last 2 weeks. they changed the alternator, battery, even some wires were changed or "fixed"... went to pick up car 2 days ago, boyfriend drove it somewhere to make sure it's ok, but after doing all those changes, it still does it.. also my battery light comes on, but car does not stall, or act like it or lose power, headlights and dash still dimming, then get brighter.. any suggestions?? thanks.
Old January 10th, 2009, 8:29 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2001 cav lights dimming

Did you take the car to a chevy repair shop? It sounds like there is something going on with the alternator and/or battery but I doubt they would go out at the same time, but you never know. Best bet is to take it to the dealer if you haven't already done so & have them check it out for you. You might have to pay more to have them check it out but it will be worth it in the long run.
Old January 10th, 2009, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2001 cav lights dimming

hi,
we took it to the same mechanic that we always go to, and he always does a good job.. he first changed the alternator, but lights kept dimming, then we put ina new battery, still wasn't it, so he put my old alternator back in and gave our money back.. had someone he knows to check the wires and stuff, that guy did something and said it was good to go.. well after picking it up, it started doing it again. so.... our mechanic changed the alternator again.. still doing it.. could it be a ground wire? just had a remote car starter installed in nov. and for some reason that's when the fan started acting up, then few weeks later the lights started.. everyone says that's not the problem and it's not the remote starter doing it.. last resort is to a chevy dealer, great...
Old January 16th, 2009, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

update: got my car back yesterday.. come to find out it was the computer itself, module was replaced, no more dimming, but on the way to work last night my theft system and check light both came on and stayed on until i shut car off, restarted it a few minutes later and lights off, nothing happened on the way home.. maybe comp. resetting itself?
Old January 21st, 2009, 9:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, that's a fair guess. The computers generally take some time to relearn the car itself. Sounds like that's all that happened with the new computer there. Good to hear you got the problem resolved.
Old February 27th, 2009, 2:00 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy it's something else...

well...after about a week from replacing the module, lights dimming again and battery light kept coming on...so i put up with it until this week, brought it back to our guy, he changed the alternator (after changing it before, then putting old one back in)...got it back yesterday and yep...still dimming, battery light comes on..etc.. so, i have a new battery, alternator, and module.. what next??? stumped.
Old March 29th, 2009, 5:41 PM
CF Beginner

The reason a battery light comes on is because there is little or no voltage comping from the alternator, and now there is a path to ground for the light to come on. It means you car is running off of your battery not your charging system. I don't think its the alternator, especially since someone has already changed it. I would look at the resistance from the alternator to the battery to the fuse block and check for high readings. I think GM runs the alternator output to the starter then to the battery and fuse block. The connections on the starter and fuse block usually get really corroded. Also check any ground wires for high resistance. Another thing would be to check the connector to the voltage regulator and its wiring. I hope this helps.