Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2001 Chevy Cavalier Shifting Rough after changing coolant sensor and serpentine belt

Search this Thread

Old January 22nd, 2013, 4:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Chevy Cavalier Shifting Rough after changing coolant sensor and serpentine belt

So, the other day I had a friend change my serpentine belt and coolant temp sensor, we also added some seafoam gas treatment and a little coolant to top her off. Everything went well, but now ****s all messed up. So I'm just gonna list on the things that weren't there before the work was done in hopes someone somewhere has had the same problem. Well, the thing I noticed first was about transmission was shifting VERY hard, more so in 1st and 2nd, it seems to not be so bad after that, also going from Park to Drive and Reverse to Drive it shifts very rough. Keep in mind this was right after I had some things changed and my transmission had NO known problems, I have owned this car for about a year and it's always shifted smoothly. Well as they were trying to figure out where the knocking was coming from we figured out I had two bad motor mounts, so we replaced them, well it still shifted rough, just doesn't sound bad(my "dogbone" has NO rubber at all!) The temp sensor that I special ordered from a GM Part Dealer isn't registering at all, fan comes on automatically after about 1 minute or 2 of the car running. Sometimes it will sound like it's trying to die, it has died once since the work was done. When I started the car this morning it idled very high and seems to normal out when I put it in Reverse. And when driving the car it seems to vibrate a lot more. Like I can feel it in my feet a little...after the car warmed up and I was going at a constant speed it wasn't so bad but not normal. I was told to drive it around in hopes the computer would "relearn" it's self. Well at this point, I don't feel comfortable driving it all. I'm afraid I'll do damage. I really don't think my transmission just went bad, but it there is something wrong with the wiring(I did a little research and I think it might be the wiring), I don't want that to cause more problems. Last time my computer had to "relearn" itself it didn't take this long. Also, last time my codes were read there was an evap code and the temp sensor code. They were cleared but came on pretty soon after that and they were read again after we changed the motor mounts but I was not informed of any NEW codes. I have someone coming over to look at tomorrow and if no one writes back and we get it figured out, I'll updated with the solution, I was just hoping someone could help me, I'm not very patient when it comes to my car. I'm new to owning cars but I'm getting there. Anyway, if there's anyone that thinks of anything, let me know. -Taff
Old January 23rd, 2013, 10:53 PM
CF Veteran

have you checked the transmission fluid?
Old February 1st, 2013, 7:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
have you checked the transmission fluid?
Some was added but my transmission doesn't have a dip stick. A few months back I ran low on fluid and it would sound really weird when turning left, added fluid and it went away. Well, I can somewhat hear that same sound but it's not as loud and last time I heard the sound it wasn't shift rough. This was out of no where, I turned into a neighborhood went to look at a yard sale, yard sale was closed so we left, we stopped at the stop sign waited a little bit then proceeded to turn left to go home, that's the exact moment when it started shifting rough. I hope this helps.

Also, I think I should add that I have had all three motor mounts changed since this has started, which all were messed up.

Last edited by taffany33; February 1st, 2013 at 7:18 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2013, 9:07 PM
CF Beginner

Talking

So, just wanted to let whoever reads this that I figured out the problem, it was the GM / AC Delco Coolant Sensor I order that wasn't working AT ALL! I bought a BWD Coolant Sensor from Advance Auto and the fan is turning on when its suppose to, the transmission doesn't shift hard, and engine sounds great. Before all that I changed all 3 of my motor mounts and my throttle position sensor. Still gonna get a Transmission oil/filter changed.