Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

2002 cavalier breaks

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2013, 4:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 cavalier breaks

My daughter just bought a 2002 cavalier . It needed the breaks done so after I replaced the rotors, calipers and pads, I had her pump the peddle and we bled the breaks. When she started the car the peddle went to the floor. So I rebled the breaks but you still have to pump them to get the car to stop. Can someone please help, I have never had this problem with my wifes dodge or my ford.

Thanks!
Old July 5th, 2013, 8:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you got air in the system, did you make sure that the master cylinder stayed topped up as you where bleeding the brakes? I would bleed them again, when you bleed them open the bleeder have someone put the pedal to the floor, when the pedal is on the floor hold it there close the bleeder and release the pedal, do this until all the air is out. The best way to do it is put some brake fluid in a bottle get a hose that fits tight on the bleeder then put the other end of the hose in the brake fluid and you can clearly see the air as it comes out. you just have to make sure that the master cylinder stays topped up as you do it, also make sure that the banjo bolt (the bolt that connects the flex hose to the caliper) and the bleeder is tight and nothing is leaking also make sure that the rotor and pads are clean of grease, if that doesn't help check all fittings hoses and lines for any signs of leaking or damage if not then there is something wrong with the master cylinder and or brake booster