Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

89 Z24 wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2009, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 Z24 wont stay running

One of my toys my 89 Z24 she starts but runs for 10 secs give or take then stalls..I brought it to one of my 2 mechanics and they did a tonne of time on it and in the end still the same..They have changed the module and coils,crank sensor(was leaking),starter(died by love trying to fix it lol)fuel pump and tried a computer from another 2.8 vehicle for it to do the same thing..They are baffeled and dont even want to look at it anymore lol..Tonnes of fuel pressure she starts right back up to die again..Sweet!!lol.They did notice one thing to make them think the module(I presume).As it starts to die he said the spark starts to flutter..I know this guy tried to his best knowledge he even spent his past long weekend(canadian thx giving) online to find a cure..Now my other mechanic(specializes in electrical) says its a short or a bad wire and I dumped a tonne of money for nothing...Anyone ever have this problem??my Z24 is gonna make me go broke lol..I was hoping to at least get her running in time to put her away for the winter..By the way this is my first post on this forum so hi!!

Last edited by too many toys; November 4th, 2009 at 5:13 PM.
Old November 4th, 2009, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

sounds like the problem i've been having with my 85 dodge daytona.i threw tons of cash into replacing parts to no avail.i had it towed to the local garage,he couldn't fix it.had it towed to another that specializes in electrical and they're saying it's a problem in the wiring harness.some bad plugs.they got another harness but a few of the plugs were different so they're trying to find a matching harness.

try cleaning all your wiring harness connections with contact cleaner and apply a dab of dielectric grease to keep moisture from corroding them back up.some dirty plugs could cause a whole host of drivability issues.check anywhere heat may get to the wiring and cause it to get brittle and fall apart.it's possible you have a bare spot somewhere causing a short.good luck
Old November 5th, 2009, 12:04 AM
CF Junior Member

A buddy of mine had a 88 beretta with the same motor and somewhat the same problem and yes after a ton of time and money he found that the bracket the coils sit on also ground them to the block and it had a hair line crack in it causeing it to run rough and or not at all. Check this bracket if thats fine then I would hope the best for ya. Hope this helped!
Old December 16th, 2009, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Default 89 Z24 wont stay running

I recently put in a new clutch and the problem first started when i would give it gas and try n punch it the prelude would bog down and almost die then a day later it would start dying now it wont stay running if it even starts sometimes

my main relay is buzzing
and whats the part by the distributor thats on the second cam? Please help.
Old November 20th, 2011, 2:46 AM
CF Beginner

Red face same issue

i found a broken oil pressure sending unit on mine i havent switched it yet but i think there might be an interlock preventing it from continuing operation because the ecu is thinking there is no oil pressure and ceasing operation to prevent damage im going to try it tomorro so hopefully i get resuts
Old July 22nd, 2014, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Its been a while and she still doesn't run..I did get my hands finally on a harness so im going to give that a go.
Old September 8th, 2017, 12:22 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having same problem except my spark isn't fluttering. did you get an end result yet?