Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

97Cavalier...Need Some other opinons?

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2014, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 97Cavalier...Need Some other opinons?

1997 Cavalier that wants to die while idling in drive/gas gauge reads Full all the time, 2.2, 197,000 mi on it when I bought it and now its rolling over 233,000. The fuel pump went out In it, but probably wasn't the first time cuz whoever changed it before cut a hole under my backseat where the pump goes instead of dropping the tank to replace it. So if your following me, we did the same thing, took the old one out and put the new one in and now my fuel gauge says I have a FULL tank all the time,..(kinda a sick joke right?) So How do I fix this?,...did he ground out a wire somewhere under there? or just damage the float? everything works just not my fuel gauge now? That's the first problem the second one just happened. I've been driving for months now guessing gas mileage hoping not to run out and the last time I think I did, turns out the Timing Chain just Broke going down the road, the only sound I heard was a PFfff. noise and the car shut off. After determining we had plenty of gas we narrowed it down to replacing a new fuel filter, coils and the sensor they sit on, I bought a new timing chain and gears, lined it up, new tensioner, somehow in all of this I have a new intake gasket, plugs and wires, battery, and it still idles rough and wants to die while just sitting in place What could this be? The problem before was, it wouldn't start,...Now that its starting it doesn't idle great and it shakes while sitting in place, Oh and back when The fuel pump was replaced I forgot to mention the catalytic converter was clogged so he cut that off and replaced it wit a pipe so it wasn't loud, and then the muffler had a hole in it so he just cut that off too and I have a straight pipe on it and smaller muffler from BigR. If that makes a difference. SO what Im asking is there something we missed? or overlooked?

Last edited by dbodkin; January 10th, 2014 at 11:48 AM.