Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

AC Issue

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2016, 1:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Issue

So I'm new on this forum but not new to using forums....anyways, the issue im having is with my wifes 02 cavalier 2.2l ecotec. She told me recently that her ac wasnt blowing anything but hot air. So i broke out my ac test gauges and seemed to just be a little low on freon so i filled it and thought she should be good to go. Yes the ac compressor was engaging and running... Well next day she said its still blowing hot so I looked under hood had her start car and ac... I noticed her cooling fan wasnt working. So of course i pop open the fuse box under hood and check fuses for coninuity using a multimeter. The 30amp to cooling fan would not make continuity so i tried a different fuse the one to the abs and it was so i knew multimeter was working well i put the 50amp from abs in the spot for the fan tested it it tested fine. Put 30amp in abs spot and it magically tests fine. So i switch them back and now fan is working....Why would it do that? corrosion.... well after a few minutes of car running smoke begins to come from fan motor and smells of plastic and wires cooking so pretty sure motor is fried. When i did have ac running and fan for that short time the ac line going in to cabin condesated ice cold to touch but only hot air was blowing out of vents inside the car... is there a blend door that controls between heat and ac and if so where is it exactly located... or could there be a problem on high pressure side of ac that would cause line to get cold etc but cause it to blow hot air out of vents. I know im going to need a new fan motor not sure why it fried.... these cars have to get super hot for fan to kick on and she hadnt used her ac in awhile so i suspect the fan was gummed up or theres a short from fuse box to fan... all help greatly appreciated
Old August 28th, 2016, 9:49 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Blend door actuator would be my guess. I know my suburban did the same thing, replaced the blend door actuator.
Old August 28th, 2016, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any idea where exactly it is located in dash? General location driver or passenger side and top or bottom?
Old August 28th, 2016, 12:38 PM
CF Monarch

I believe it's behind the glove box
Old August 28th, 2016, 1:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

iirc 02 cav use a cable operated temp blend door and vacuum operated mode doors.
move the temp blend door and you should hear a thunk as the door moves from cold to hot

fix your fan before any further troubleshooting. if the fan doesn't run, heat cannot be released from the refrigerant into the air...meaning heat transfer from the cabin into the refrigerant will be greatly reduced also.
Old August 28th, 2016, 2:11 PM
CF Monarch

Lucky to have cable. You might probably still have to pull the glove box to get at it.